Canada’s Cannabis Act: Annotation & Commentary, 2020/2021 Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Canada’s first and leading annual annotated product on the federal Cannabis Act
For ease of navigation, this annotated text is structured according to the 15 Parts of the Cannabis Act.
The Cannabis Act was drafted using provisions from the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act, and the Food and Drug Act. Accordingly, in addition to case law under the Cannabis Act, the most relevant case law under each of these source Acts is examined to assist the reader further in the interpretation of the Cannabis Act.
- Overview commentary for each Part and Division of the Act
- Thematic annotation of key sections
- A detailed Introduction, which outlines the legislative and historical reasons Canada prohibited cannabis for 95 years, and how legalization developed and occurred
- Full text of the Act and all Regulations
- Written by Russell Bennett, a lawyer who advises businesses in the cannabis industry, and who has commented on Canada’s cannabis laws in his creative productions for over 20 years
- Co-authored by Professor Emeritus Alan Young, Osgoode Hall Law School
- An all-at-a-glance provincial legislation chart governing retail cannabis distribution
- A new chapter reviewing the latest cannabis-related case law, not under the Cannabis Act
- An updated Introduction, which includes a full review of the seminal medical cannabis cases that led to Health Canada’s medical cannabis licensing system, and ultimately, legalization
- Helpful links and resources section
- Fully-updated commentary
A Useful Resource
The 2020/2021 edition of the Cannabis Act: Commentary & Annotation will be of interest to:
- Lawyers – Criminal, corporate, municipal, litigation, employment and labour, intellectual property
- Law enforcement officers – Municipal officers, provincial officers, RCMP, military police
- Government – Federal, provincial and municipal administrations
- Libraries – Law school, university, college, public
- Retail (both online and brick and mortar) – book stores, cannabis stores, growing supply stores
Table of contents
About the Authors
Detailed Table of Contents
Table of Cases
Cannabis Act –Annotation and Commentary
▪ Cannabis Act (Police Enforcement) Regulations (SOR/2018-151)
• Cannabis Fees Order (SOR/2018-198)
• Cannabis for Medical Purposes Remission Order (SOR/2020-9)
• Cannabis Regulations (SOR/2018-144)
• Cannabis Tracking System Order (SOR/2019-202)
• Industrial Hemp Regulations (SOR/2018-145)
• Order Designating the Minister of Health as the Minister for the purpose of that Act (SI/2019-125)
• Qualifications for Designation as Analyst Regulations (Cannabis) (SOR/2018-146)
Related Cannabis-Themed Case Law
Provincial Cannabis Legislation on Retail Distribution
Helpful Links and Resources
The Executor's Handbook, 6th EditionRelease date: October 10, 2019$210.00
New!PreorderHalsbury's Laws of Canada – Inquests, Coroners and Medical Examiners (2021 Reissue) / Interim Preservation of Property Rights (2021 Reissue)New!Release date: September 30, 2021$320.00
New!PreorderHalsbury's Laws of Canada – Landlord and Tenant (2021 Edition) / Legislation (2021 Edition) / Limitation of Actions (2021 Edition) / Liquor Control (2021 Edition)New!Release date: September 30, 2021$320.00