Residential Tenancies in Ontario, 3rd Edition
This updated 3rd edition of Residential Tenancies in Ontario provides an update on the latest changes to the law and an examination of recent key case law, as well as detailed analysis of difficult legal questions.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Fleming on Tenancies
"Fleming on Tenancies", as it is now known, comes in two parts – the "Annual Practice" and the treatise Residential Tenancies in Ontario, Third Edition, both written by Jack Fleming who has more than 30 years experience in landlord and tenant law. This 2-part, must-have combo has proven to be an indispensable resource for anyone who works with landlords and tenants in their daily practice, as well as Landlord and Tenant Board adjudicators.
The Authoritative Guide for Representation of Residential Landlords and Tenants
The law of residential tenancies in Ontario continues to see a lot of developments on both the legislative and case law fronts. This updated third edition of Residential Tenancies in Ontario – widely cited by tribunals and courts, including the Ontario Court of Appeal – provides an update on the latest changes to the law and an examination of recent key case law, as well as detailed analysis of difficult legal questions.
Each chapter follows a consistent structure, designed to help you find information quickly:
- Summary chart – A quick reference to the law
- Detailed examination of legal issues, organized by category – careful consideration of the applicable principles
- Numerous case law examples – how have courts and tribunals interpreted the principles?
- Recommended Solutions for Difficult or Unresolved Issues
Highlights of the 3rd Edition:
- A new chapter on issues with respect to Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) Housing
- A new chapter on Co-operative Housing Evictions
- Update on recent and upcoming LTB procedural changes
- Update on the rapidly developing area of human rights law in tenancies
- Update on the issue of exclusive jurisdiction of the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Examination of the issue of damages for future rent under the RTA and pre-RTA
- Examination of the issue of renting a rental unit not for occupation but for the purpose of re-renting
- Discussion of grounds of challenges on LTB orders
- Case law interpreting SJTO's Rules of Practice
A Convenient Resource for:
- Housing Co-ops who need to now file eviction applications with the Landlord & Tenant Board
- Lawyers and paralegals who advise on residential tenancy law, appear before the Landlord and Tenant Board and handle appeals from LTB decisions
- Landlord and Tenant Board adjudicators who need advice on the full gamut of common and uncommon issues
- Legal clinics seeking an authoritative reference for their landlord and tenant law practice
- Law professors seeking a reliable text on residential tenancy law with scholarly analysis
- Real estate lawyers who need information on landlord's liability in a variety of circumstances
Table of contents
Table of Cases
RTA/TPA Table of Concordance
Chapter 1: Introduction, History & Statutory Interpretation
Chapter 2: Jurisdiction
Chapter 3: Ontario Human Rights Code
Chapter 4: Tenancy Agreements
Chapter 5: Assignment & Sublet
Chapter 6: Exemptions from the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006
Chapter 7: Termination of a Tenancy
Chapter 8: Eviction & Other Landlord Applications
Chapter 9: Relief from Eviction
Chapter 10: Repairs and Maintenance
Chapter 11: Other Tenant Applications
Chapter 12: Rent
Chapter 13: Remedies
Chapter 14: Procedure
Residential Tenancies Act, 2006
Ontario Landlord & Tenant Law Practice, 2022 EditionRelease date: November 18, 2021$162.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Landlord and Tenant (2021 Edition) / Legislation (2021 Edition) / Limitation of Actions (2021 Edition) / Liquor Control (2021 Edition)Release date: October 19, 2021$325.00
New!PreorderOntario Energy Law: Electricity, 2nd EditionNew!Release date: October 31, 2022$280.00