Due to our backend system billing upgrade, orders placed after October 30 will be processed on November 2.
Thank you for understanding.
Real Estate Practice in Ontario, 10th Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Celebrating over 50 years of the Real Estate Practice in Ontario publication!
Real Estate Practice in Ontario, 10th Edition provides a comprehensive overview of the myriad issues – procedural and substantive – that underlie virtually every real estate transaction, and offers expert guidance on navigating the constantly evolving landscape of this practice area. An indispensable reference manual since it was first published five decades ago, this book remains the authoritative portable real estate guide as it continues to track the evolution of Ontario real estate law while delivering reliable advice on the potential challenges that arise in day-to-day practice.
In addition to examining all aspects of real estate practice in Ontario, including the registry system, the land titles system, agreements of purchase and sale, real estate agents, government controls, liens and taxes, this text includes an up-to-date discussion of recent developments in relevant legislation and case law.
What’s New In This Edition
- The enactment of the New Home Construction Licensing Act, 2017, S.O. 2017, c. 33
- Designation of responsibility to the newly created Home Construction Regulatory Authority for licensing new home builders and vendors; enforcing professional standards for competence and conduct; investigating illegal building practices; and administering the Ontario Builder Directory
- New requirements under the renamed Ontario New Home Warranties and Protection Plan, including the new mandatory addenda
- Discussion of new federal legislation (the Underused Housing Tax Act and the Prohibition on the Purchase of Residential Property by Non-Canadians Act) regarding purchase and ownership of residential property by “non-Canadians”; also discussed is provincial and municipal amendments dealing with vacant properties
- Changes to the Income Tax Act regarding eligibility for the principal residence capital gains exemption
- Amendments to the Planning Act, including the new provision permitting separate dealings of property owned under joint tenancy
- Replacement of the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) with the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT)
- New content regarding interference with the exercise of an easement
- The new Trust in Real Estate Services Act, 2020, which replaced the Real Estate and Business Brokers Act, 2002 including the new Code of Ethics for real estate agents
- Changes in the procedures for closing on a sale of property and executing other contracts, including permitting remote or virtual execution of documents
- New section on frustration of the agreement of purchase and sale
- Discussion of determination of disputes under the Condominium Act
- New section on clogs on the equity of redemption of a mortgage
Who Should Read This Book
Real Estate Practice in Ontario, 10th Edition is an indispensable reference manual for real estate practitioners, articling students, law clerks, paralegals, conveyancers and law librarians.
Table of contents
Chapter 1: The Registry System
Chapter 2: The Land Titles System
Chapter 3: Other Statutes Affecting Real Estate in Ontario
Chapter 4: Statutory Liens and Tax Statutes Affecting Real Estate
Chapter 5: Government Controls on the Use and Disposition of Land
Chapter 6: Status of Owner: Its Effect on Conveyancing
Chapter 7: Easements and Restrictive Covenants
Chapter 8: Construction Liens
Chapter 9: Personal Property Security Act
Chapter 10: Real Estate Agents
Chapter 11: The Agreement of Purchase and Sale
Chapter 12: Procedures in a Routine Transaction of Purchase and Sale
Chapter 13: Acting for the Purchaser of a Condominium Unit
Chapter 14: Representing Purchasers of New Homes
Chapter 15: Remedies on Default
Chapter 16: Searching Titles
Chapter 17: Legal Description of Land
Chapter 18: Proper Execution of Documents for Registration
Chapter 19: Financing Land
Chapter 20: Mortgage Default Proceedings
Appendix 1: Document Registration Agreements
Appendix 2: Measurement Conversion Table
Real Estate Practice in Ontario, 10th Edition – Student EditionRelease date: October 25, 2023$130.00
New!Tolley's Customs and Excise Duties Handbook 2023-2024 E-BookNew!Release date: November 17, 2023$1,050.50
New!The Annotated Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule, 2024 EditionNew!Release date: November 30, 2023$195.00