Ontario Landlord & Tenant Law Practice, 2023 Edition
This authoritative work has proven to be an indispensable resource for anyone who works with landlords and tenants in their daily practice, as well as Landlord and Tenant Board adjudicators.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Fleming on Tenancies
"Fleming on Tenancies", as it is now known, comes in two parts – the "Annual Practice" and the treatise Residential Tenancies in Ontario, both written by Jack Fleming who has almost 40 years’ experience in landlord and tenant law. This 2-part, must-have combo has proven to be an indispensable resource for anyone who works with landlords and tenants in their daily practice, as well as Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) adjudicators.
Practicing Landlord & Tenant Law During the Pandemic
Ontario Landlord & Tenant Law Practice, 2023 Edition serves as a timely legal resource for landlord and tenant lawyers, paralegals and housing co-ops to catch up on recent changes in landlord and tenant law practice.
Features and Benefits
- Superior commentary and analysis – Written by a leading expert in the landlord and tenant field
- Practice points – Provides succinct and practical guidance on key landlord and tenant issues, including a summary of principles and factors to consider when arguing a case
- Unmatched coverage – Case law, Landlord and Tenant Board decisions and unreported decisions not available in any other publications
- Cross references to other legislation and related material
- Cross references to Residential Tenancies in Ontario, Fourth Edition
- Table of concordance between the Residential Tenancies Act and the Tenant Protection Act, for easy cross-referencing between the new and old legislation when considering older cases
What's New In This Edition
The new 2023 edition has been fully updated with all annotations and material to make this reference uncluttered with obsolete cases, keeping just the current and applicable information in a portable format. New edition highlights include:
- The latest legislative amendments to the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006
- Inclusion of new Landlord and Tenant Board forms, “Application to Collect Money a Former Tenant Owes”, “Issues a Tenant Intends to Raise at a Rent Arrears Hearing”, and “Certificate of Service – Serving a Former Tenant”
- Key recent LTB, Divisional Court and Ontario Court of Appeal decisions, such as the Divisional Court’s decisions in Nicholls v. Zsiga (clarifying the landlord’s responsibility for outdoor maintenance), Pinto v. Regan (application of good faith and the common law duty to act honestly in the performance of contractual obligations to agreements to terminate)
- Updated commentary throughout the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, including numerous unreported decisions
- Updated case law annotations concerning landlord and tenant law under the Human Rights Code
- Updated case law annotations concerning landlord and tenant law under the Statutory Powers Procedure Act
Table of contents
Table of Acronyms and Abbreviations
Detailed Table of Contents
Table of Cases
Table of Concordance
Residential Tenancies Act, 2006
General – O. Reg. 516/06
Maintenance Standards – O. Reg. 517/06
Smart Meters and Appointment of Utility Costs – O. Reg. 394/10
Social Justice Tribunals Ontario Rules of Practice
Social Justice Tribunals Ontario Common Rules
Landlord and Tenant Board Interpretation Guidelines
Table of Forms
Landlord and Tenant Board Forms
Statutory Powers Procedures Act
Ontario Human Rights Code
Ontario Human Rights Code Regulation – O. Reg. 290/98
OHRC's Policy on Human Rights and Rental Housing - Issued July 21, 2009
Mortgages Act (Part V)
Cooperative Corporations Act (selected sections)
Commercial Tenancies Act
Appendix A: LTB Offices and Contact Information
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Landlord and Tenant (2021 Edition) / Legislation (2021 Edition) / Limitation of Actions (2021 Edition) / Liquor Control (2021 Edition)Release date: October 19, 2021$227.50
New!PreorderOntario Motor Vehicle Insurance Law & Commentary, 2023 EditionNew!Release date: October 31, 2022$116.00
New!PreorderDocument Registration Guide, 24th Edition, 2023New!Release date: November 30, 2022$227.00