Ontario Family Law Practice, 2024 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2)
For more than two decades, Ontario Family Law Practice has been the standard text for family judges, lawyers and mediators – giving them the relevant law, practice and contact information at their fingertips.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Click here for the student edition of Ontario Family Law Practice, 2024 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2).
Newly Updated for Changing Times
As the all-time “Go-To” Resource for family law practitioners, Ontario Family Law Practice, 2024 Edition contains the amendments to the Family Law Rules, up to and including those in force as of July 1, 2023, along with expert insights on family law practice.
For more than two decades, Ontario Family Law Practice has been the leading text for family judges, lawyers and mediators, providing them with relevant law, practice tips, and contact information at their fingertips. In two volumes, you'll find succinct, section-by-section annotations of the key federal and Ontario legislation and rules governing family law.
Along with digests of over 5,000 cases and statutory cross-references, this book offers insight and analysis from leading members of the judiciary and bar. Key developments are noted in the year in review summary, and legislation is fully cross-referenced for ease of use. Related materials are provided in the accompanying softcover Volume 2. Only Ontario Family Law Practice continues to deliver all the family law information needed to succeed in one convenient and portable package.
The 2024 Edition – What’s New?
- Brand new practice note: Ontario Judges’ and Lawyers’ Guide to Safety Planning, by contributor Hilary Linton, Founder of Riverdale Mediation Ltd and Toronto Family Mediation Services
- Inclusion of the Consolidated Provincial Practice Direction for Family Law Proceedings at the Superior Court of Justice, in effect June 15, 2023
- Amendments to the Family Law Rules, including:
- Amendment to Rule 1.3(4) – Exemptions to notify re: access to certain filed documents
- New Rule 3.01 – Access to court filings for proceedings involving children by non-parties
- New subrule 6(19)(f) – Lawyer or paralegal’s Certificate of Service (Form 6C)
- New subrules 17(3.1)-(3.3) – Requirement for parties to confer prior to conferences regarding financial disclosure and the possible settlement of issues
- New Rule 37.2 – International child abduction matters to be dealt with within six weeks
- Amendments to the Family Law Act, the Courts of Justice Act, and various regulations
- Supreme Court of Canada decisions related to family law, including the applicability of the Miglin framework to domestic contracts in different contexts (Anderson) and the proper approach to child abduction cases when country of origin is not a signatory to the Hague Convention (F v. N)
- Digests of all reported Ontario family law cases over the previous year, including the Court of Appeal’s rulings on key topics, such as:
- The applicability of tort law in family proceedings where there has been domestic violence (Ahluwalia)
- The use of constructive trust and proprietary estoppel remedies in cases of marriage breakdown (Madi v. King)
- Execution against marital property (Senthillmohan)
- Domestic violence and best interests of the child (N.B. v. C.M.)
- Motions for stays in child abduction cases (Dieffenbacher)
- Kin caregiver entitled to party status (Children’s Aid Society of Longon and Middlesex v. T.E.)
- Costs against Children’s Aid Society (Children’s Aid Society of the Region of Peel v. L.M.)
- Child support for adult children (Licata v. Shure)
- Recovery of costs for expert’s report (Assayag-Shneer v. Shneer)
- Psychiatric assessment of a parent (A.C.V.P. v. A.M.P.)
- Foreign divorces (Antonyuk)
- 2022-2023 Year-in-Review
- And more!
Who Should Buy
- Family law practitioners who need a quick reference guide before and in court or during client or settlement meetings
- Non-specialist lawyers who need one-stop, easy-to-use access to overlapping legislation and constantly evolving case law
- Judges of Ontario family courts who demand a comprehensive and authoritative source of the law and practice in this area
- Family Mediators and Child Protection Mediators who need to consult a reliable resource for interpretation of the law
Putting Family Law in the Palm of Your Hand
Ontario Family Law Practice is published in two volumes – a hardcover main volume to take to court (Volume 1) and a softcover Related Materials volume (Volume 2).
Table of contents
The Year in Review
New Terminology in Family Law Rules and Forms
Table of Cases
Part I: Key Legislation
Annotated Divorce Act; Federal Child Support Guidelines and Simplified Tables; Child Support Guidelines (Ontario) and Tables; Child, Youth, and Family Services Act, 2017; Children’s Law Reform Act; Family Law Act; and Family Law Rules
Part II: Other Statutes
Annotated Civil Marriage Act; Annulment of Marriages Act (Ontario); Marriage (Prohibited Degrees) Act; Marriage Act; Change of Name Act; Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998; Partition Act (selection); Pension Benefits Standards Act (selection); Pension Benefits Act (selection); Succession Law Reform Act (selection); Vital Statistics Act (selection); Evidence Act (Ontario) (selection); Courts of Justice Act (selection); An Act Respecting First Nations, Inuit, and Metis Youth and Families; Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act (selection); Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act (selection); Creditors’ Relief Act (selection); Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996 (selection); Fraudulent Conveyances Act (selection); Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, 2002 (selection); and Wages Act (selection)
Part III: Other Regulations
Annotated regulations under the Divorce Act; the Change of Name Act; the Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998; the Marriage Act; the Pension Benefits Act; the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act; the Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996; the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, 2002; the Children’s Law Reform Act; the Arbitration Act; and the Child, Youth and Family Services Act
Part IV: Reference Material
Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines – The Revised User’s Guide
Practice Note 1: The Family Court Branch of the Superior Court of Justice in Ontario Overview
Practice Note 2: Consolidated Provincial Practice Direction for Family Proceedings at the Superior Court of Justice
Practice Note 3: Valuation and Income Assessment: Expert Reports for Family Law
Practice Note 4: Developments in the Treatment of Pensions under Ontario Family Law
Practice Note 5: Practitioner’s Notes
Practice Note 6: Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – Ontario Chapter Parenting Plan Guide and Template
Practice Note 7: Ontario Judges’ and Lawyers’ Guide to Safety Planning
New!Ontario Family Law Practice, 2024 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2) – Student EditionNew!Release date: September 15, 2023$125.00
Annotated Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security Act, 22nd Edition, 2023/2024Release date: June 15, 2023$205.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Family (2022 Reissue)Release date: October 21, 2022$231.00