Ontario Family Law Practice, 2023 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2) – Student Edition
**This title is to be purchased by students only**
For more than two decades, Ontario Family Law Practice has been the standard text for family judges, lawyers and mediators – giving them the relevant law, practice and contact information at their fingertips. This is a student edition.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
**This title is to be purchased by students only**
Click here for the professional edition of Ontario Family Law Practice, 2023 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2).
Newly Updated for Changing Times
As the all-time “Go-To” Resource for family law practitioners, Ontario Family Law Practice, 2023 Edition contains the amendments to the Family Law Rules, in force as of December 11, 2021, along with expert insights on family law practice.
For more than two decades, Ontario Family Law Practice has been the standard text for family judges, lawyers and mediators, giving them the relevant law, practice and contact information at their fingertips. In two volumes, you'll find succinct, section-by-section annotations of the key federal and Ontario legislation and rules governing family law.
Along with digests for over 5,000 cases and statutory cross-references, this book offers insight and analysis from leading members of the judiciary and bar. Key developments are noted in the year in review summary, and legislation is fully cross-referenced for ease of use. Related materials are provided in the accompanying softcover Volume 2. Only Ontario Family Law Practice continues to deliver all the family law information needed to succeed in one convenient and portable package.
The 2023 Edition – What’s New?
The 2-Volume 2023 Edition is organized to suit the research needs of family law professionals acting on different issues:
- Volume 1: Part I Key Legislation
- Volume 2: Part II Other Statutes, Part III Other Regulations and Part IV Reference Material
Highlights of the 2023 Edition
- Inclusion of An Act Respecting First Nations, Inuit, and Metis Youth and Families, assented to June 21, 2019
- Amendments to the Family Law Rules, in effect December 1, 2021:
- New Rule 8.01.1 – Automatic order for financial disclosure
- Clarification that parties may not file documents with the court by fax
- New subrule 15(24.1) – Duties of judge at first attendance of the parties before a judge
- New subrule 15(26.1) – Motion for directions; and
- New subrules 17(4.2)-(4.4) – Imposing requirement of parties to confer prior to case conference
- Amendments to the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, the Family Law Act, the Courts of Justice Act, and various regulations
- Digests of key reported Ontario family law cases over the previous year, highlighting recent Supreme Court of Canada and Ontario Court of Appeal decisions, including:
- Retroactive child support adjustments (Colucci v. Colucci)
- Relevance of biological tie in custody cases (B.J.T. v. J.D.)
- New relocation provisions in the Divorce Act compared to Gordon v. Goertz regime (Barendregt v. Grebliunas)
- Settlement privilege in family mediation (Association de médiation familiale du Québec v. Bouvier)
- Constitutionality of CLRA, s. 40 (N v. F)
- Corporate income in determining child support (Dreesen v. Dreesen)
- Equitable trust remedies (Bakhsh v. Merdad)
- Interjurisdictional Child Support Act (Ontario (Family Responsibility Office, Director) v. Bougrine)
- Parental alienation (Bouchard v. Sgovio)
- Mobility rights in high conflict cases (Kazberov v. Kotlyachkova) and
- Effect of re-partnering on spousal support (Politis v. Politis)
- 2021-2022 Year-in-Review
- And more!
Who Should Buy
- Family law practitioners who need a quick reference guide before and in court or during client or settlement meetings
- Non-specialist lawyers who need one-stop, easy-to-use access to overlapping legislation and constantly evolving case law
- Judges of Ontario family courts who demand a comprehensive and authoritative source of the law and practice in this area
- Family Mediators and Child Protection Mediators who need to consult a reliable resource for interpretation of the law
Putting Family Law in the Palm of Your Hand
Ontario Family Law Practice is published in two volumes – a hardcover main volume to take to court (Volume 1) and a softcover Related Materials volume (Volume 2).
Table of contents
The Year in Review
New Terminology in Family Law Rules and Forms
Table of Cases
Part I: Key Legislation
Annotated Divorce Act; Federal Child Support Guidelines; Child Support Guidelines (Ontario); Child, Youth, and Family Services Act, 2017; Children’s Law Reform Act; Family Law Act; and Family Law Rules
Part II: Other Statutes
Annotated Civil Marriage Act; Annulment of Marriages Act (Ontario); Marriage (Prohibited Degrees) Act; Marriage Act; Change of Name Act; Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998; Partition Act (selection); Pension Benefits Standards Act (selection); Pension Benefits Act (selection); Succession Law Reform Act (selection); Vital Statistics Act (selection); Evidence Act (Ontario) (selection); Courts of Justice Act (selection); An Act Respecting First Nations, Inuit, and Metis Youth and Families; Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act (selection); Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act (selection); Creditors’ Relief Act (selection); Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996 (selection); Fraudulent Conveyances Act (selection); Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, 2002 (selection); and Wages Act (selection)
Part III: Other Regulations
Annotated Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings Regulations; Change of Name Act Regulation; and regulations to the Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, 2002, the Children’s Law Reform Act, and the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, among others
Part IV: Reference Material
Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines – User’s Guide
Practice Note 1: The Family Court Branch of the Superior Court of Justice in Ontario Overview
Practice Note 2: Family Practice Directions in the Superior Court of Justice
Practice Note 3: Integrated Domestic Violence Court: Practice Direction
Practice Note 4: Children’s Aid Society Policy for Financial Assistant for Adoption and Legal Custody
Practice Note 5: Protocols for Handling Return Applications and Interjurisdictional Judicial Communication under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction
Practice Note 6: Ontario Psychological Association Ethical Guidelines
Practice Note 7: Valuation and Income Assessment: Expert Reports for Family Law
Practice Note 8: Developments in the Treatment of Pensions under Ontario Family Law
Practice Note 9: Practitioner’s Notes
Practice Note 10: Association of Family and Conciliation Courts – Ontario Chapter Parenting Plan Template
Ontario Family Law Practice, 2023 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2)Release date: October 18, 2022$275.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Family (2022 Reissue)Release date: October 21, 2022$330.00
Annotated Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security Act, 21st Edition, 2022/2023Release date: June 15, 2022$205.00