Synthesis: Legal Reading, Reasoning, and Writing in Canada, 4th Edition
This book is an effective legal writing tool designed for students entering the legal profession, and for practitioners looking to refresh their legal writing skills.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Synthesis: Legal Reading, Reasoning, and Writing in Canada, 4th Edition is an effective legal writing tool designed for students entering the legal profession, and for practitioners looking to refresh their legal writing skills. This practical text is a comprehensive and reliable legal reading, reasoning, and writing guide which will help students and legal practitioners to:
- Learn how to use primary and secondary legal resources in making legal arguments;
- Develop skills in legal reading, reasoning, and research using examples, exercises, charts, and diagrams; and
- Write clear and effective legal memos, opinion letters, briefs, arguments, and pleadings
- Step-by-step guidance through various aspects of the legal problem solving process
- Commentary on oral advocacy
- Case study as a practical exercise of the material
What's New In The Edition?
- Revised throughout, and updated to reflect the most recent McGill Guide
- New content on access to justice, roles of paralegals
- Revised and enhanced discussion of case analysis and statutory interpretation
- Enhanced discussion of persuasive legal writing in various settings
- Expanded list of reference materials and websites
Who Needs This Text?
- Law Students – provides invaluable guidance on the fundamentals of legal research and writing
- Students in Law Clerk or Paralegal Programs – provides a thorough introduction to legal research and writing concepts
- Law libraries – for use by their patrons
- Research and litigation lawyers – a tool to brush up on writing memos, opinion letters, briefs, pleadings, factums, and more
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Introduction: The Lawyer's Roles and the Legal System
Chapter 2: The Structure of Legal Rules
Chapter 3: Reading Cases
Chapter 4: Using Case Analysis to Derive Legal Rules
Chapter 5: Reading Statutes
Chapter 6: Interpreting Statutes
Chapter 7: Reading Commentary
Chapter 8: Applying a Rule to Facts: Deductive Reasoning
Chapter 9: Applying a Rule to Facts: Reasoning by Example and Policy Analysis
Chapter 10: Advisory Writing: Function and Format of the Legal Memo
Chapter 11: The Legal Memo: The Discussion
Chapter 12: The Legal Memo: Issues, Short Answers, and Conclusion
Chapter 13: The Legal Memo: The Facts
Chapter 14: Advisory Writing: Function and Format of the Opinion Letter
Chapter 15: Advocacy Writing in the Pre-Trial and Trial Settings: Function and Format of the Motion Brief
Chapter 16: The Science of Advocacy
Chapter 17: Advocacy Writing in the Appellate Setting: Function and Format of the Appellate Factum
Chapter 18: The Art and Philosophy of Advocacy
Chapter 19: Oral Advocacy
Home Elder Care Case File
Appendix A: The Essentials of Clear Communication
Appendix B: Introduction to Elements of Legal Research and Citation
Appendix C: Bibliography of Selected Reference Works, Websites, and Blog
An Introduction to Real Property Law, 7th EditionRelease date: July 12, 2017$110.00
New!PreorderOntario Estate Administration, 9th EditionNew!Release date: April 28, 2023$120.00
New!PreorderThe Practitioner's Guide to Estate Practice in Ontario, 8th Edition + USBNew!Release date: May 31, 2023$145.00