Charities and Not-for-Profit Administration and Governance Handbook, 2nd Edition
Charities and Not-for-Profit Administration and Governance Handbook, 2nd Edition incorporates new chapters and a renewed focus on helping Canadian charities and NPOs become as relevant as possible to their communities.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Charities and Not-for-Profit Organizations: Understanding Your Role
Over the last decade, the charitable sector has come under more scrutiny than ever in the wake of various scandals and controversies. At the same time, new CICA accounting standards have been developed; Income Tax Act revisions have provided the government with more tools to penalize charities and not-for-profit organizations (NPOs) that don't comply with the law; and the Broadbent Report helped usher in higher benchmarks for the sector. Defining the boundaries and levels of accountability of charityor NPO directors and managers and the professionals that deal with them has never been more challenging.
Author Donald J. Bourgeois, one of Canada's leading authorities on the charitable sector, tackles these issues in Butterworths Charities and Not-for-Profit Administration and Governance Handbook, 2nd Edition. This edition incorporates new chapters and a renewed focus on helping Canadian charities and NPOs become as relevant as possible to their communities.
Features and Benefits
- Expert analysis - a comprehensive approach tackles all the issues - from what is a charity or NPO and the governance models to the risks involved within the sector and how to deal with them
- Invaluable practical advice - the roles of key charitable sector personnel are defined, with a complete explanation of accountabilities
- Handy tools - readers can avail of the helpful checklists and sample policies, processes and agreements
New in This Edition
The second edition of Charities and Not-for-Profit Administration and Governance Handbook incorporates a wide range of improvements and additions, including:
- An explanation of the changes to the law (both legislative and judicial) in regards to obligations on charitable organizations and their directors, including human resources, members and registration as a charity
- A greater emphasis has been placed on providing the practical advice charitable sector officials need to be more efficient and effective in their roles
- A new chapter on managing human resources discusses the different choices organizations have when hiring employees or independent contractors and the pros and cons of each option
- A new chapter on the reputation and relations of a charity/NPO highlights how to protect your most important asset - your reputation
An Essential Tool For
- Directors/managers of charities and NPOs - who need to understand their roles and require tools to help fulfill those roles effectively
- Charity lawyers - who need to understand how the legal issues fit into the broader context of the role charities play within the community
- Academic courses on managing charities - that require a comprehensive guide to help develop future generations of charity sector professionals
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Directors and Their Role in Managing the Organization
Chapter 2: Tools of Governance and Accountability
Chapter 3: Managing Risk
Chapter 4: Managing Assets: Financial and Intellectual Property
Chapter 5: Managing Assets: Human Resources
Chapter 6: Managing Assets: Reputation and Relations
Chapter 7: Managing the Organizational Structure
Board Committee Terms of Reference
Board Schedule of Activities
Director's Code of Conduct, including role of directors, expectations of directors, Conflict of interest
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Cemeteries and Interment (2022 Reissue) / Charities, Associations and Not-For-Profit Organizations (2022 Reissue)Release date: April 08, 2022$335.00
New!PreorderHalsbury's Laws of Canada – Commercial Law I: Agency (2024 Reissue) / Auctions (2024 Reissue) / Bailment (2024 Reissue) / Betting, Gaming and Lotteries (2024 Reissue)New!Release date: March 29, 2024$335.00
Election Law in Canada, 2nd EditionRelease date: March 25, 2021$130.00