Canadian Private Law
Student-friendly and conducive to learning complex concepts quickly.
As the author states in the introduction, “Private Law …is a dynamic area of the law with new causes of action, or variations on old ones, emerging from Canadian courts with some regularity. "
This new text explores important private law concepts. Written by a seasoned professor, this book is intended for broad readership and designed to accompany legal study.
- Self Testing Questions – At the end of each chapter for the reader to test their knowledge of the subject matter
- Seminal Illustrative Case Law – Explains and simplifies key concepts to the reader and keeps them abreast important judgments
- Comprehensive Introduction to Private Law – Each chapter is dedicated to an area of law providing a well-rounded approach to understanding the private law sphere
- Authoritative Author – is a professor of private law is knowledgeable and experienced in its fundamentals
- Written for Students – The author explains complex legal principles in accessible language perfect for any student or person seeking to understand private law concepts
Ideal reading for
- Students – Law students, undergraduates, or college students taking a private law course as reading material or for supplementary information
- Professors – As a teaching resource/aid to guide their private law classes
- Professionals – Seeking to understand the laws and principles that govern our private relationships
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Private law
Chapter 2: Torts – Negligence
Chapter 3: Torts – Intentional Wrongs and Strict Liability
Chapter 4: Defamation and Privacy
Chapter 5: Contract Basics
Chapter 6: Contract Enforcement
Chapter 7: Employment Law Issues
Chapter 8: Real and Personal Property Issues
Chapter 9: Intellectual Property
Chapter 10: Business Organization Options Affecting Lawsuits
Chapter 11: Family Law
Chapter 12: Insurance
Appendix – Case Extracts
Melnyk v. Melnyk, 2010 M.B.Q.B. 121.
Liu v. Hamptons Golf Course Ltd., 2017 A.B.C.A. 303.
Mustapha v. Culligan of Canada Ltd., 2008 S.C.C. 27.