General Principles of Canadian Insurance Law, 3rd Edition
Whether you are preparing and arguing insurance cases in court, assessing the enforceability of an insurance contract, or advising clients about their insurance contracts – General Principles of Canadian Insurance Law, 3rd Edition provides the straightforward analysis and valuable insight you need to be at your most effective. This comprehensive publication focuses exclusively on Canadian insurance law general principles, and is now fully updated to take into account the latest developments in case law and insurance regulation.
Features and Benefits
- Contains straightforward, easy-to-understand text – explains the principles applicable to the interpretation and enforcement of insurance contracts
- Provides a comprehensive overview of insurance contract law – detailing the fundamental principles as set out by the common law and by common statutory provisions
- Offers critical analysis and explanations of key concepts, legislation and cases
- Outlines the nature of insurance contracts and the sources of insurance law regulation in Canada
- Features an in-depth discussion of key legal concepts governing the formation of the insurance contract, the insurance policy, claims on the policy and the rights of third parties
- Includes a glossary of insurance law terms – providing a quick and easy reference to salient insurance law terms and definitions used by the courts
Answers the Most-Asked Questions
General Principles of Canadian Insurance Law, 3rd Edition addresses some of the most common and troublesome issues in insurance law, including:
- What principles of interpretation govern insurance contracts and how are these principles applied?
- What are the good faith obligations of the parties to an insurance contract?
- What are the primary disclosure obligations of the parties to an insurance contract?
- How do the doctrines of relief from forfeiture, waiver and estoppel impact insurance contracts?
- How are fundamental common law principles affected by insurance legislation?
What's New in this Edition
- Provides coverage of new insurance law regulations in Alberta, Ontario and British Columbia
- Covers the latest insurance case law
- An updated glossary featuring new definitions
Who Should Read This Book
- Insurance lawyers – providing an excellent reference and research resource on insurance law contracts
- In-house counsel – a guide for any company dealing with insurance contracts of any kind on a regular bases (banks, insurance companies, etc.)
- Insurance law students – as an introduction to and explanation of important insurance law concepts
- Insurance adjusters and claims examiners – as a guideline for the insurance law principles they follow in their daily practice
- Law libraries – providing an excellent legal research resource for insurance law
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Foundation of Insurance Law
Chapter 2: Formation of an Insurance Contract
Chapter 3: The Insurance Policy
Chapter 4: Claims on the Policy
Chapter 5: Third Party Rights and Obligations
Chapter 6: Glossary
General Principles of Canadian Insurance Law, 3rd Edition, Student EditionRelease date: June 30, 2020$125.00
New!PreorderLaw for Canadian Health Care Administrators, 3rd EditionNew!Release date: January 29, 2021$135.00
New!PreorderSale of a Business, 13th Edition + USBNew!Release date: December 31, 2020$171.00