Due to our backend system billing upgrade, orders placed after October 30 will be processed on November 2.
Thank you for understanding.
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Construction (2021 Reissue)
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Begin updating your law library today!
$148* per volume (ISBN: 9780433454946) OR purchase individual volumes at $330 each.
For more information or to place an order please contact us.
*Per volume with commitment to purchase the entire 72-volume set.
Construction law is complex and multi-faceted. While it draws on questions of law familiar to most practitioners, such as those relating to contracts and torts, it is a varied area that involves a host of specialized issues and a myriad of unique challenges.
Halsbury's Construction (2021 Reissue) provides practitioners with the basic guidance that they will need to understand the fundamentals of the legal principles, issues and questions that arise in the course of building projects, especially those questions that fall outside their own fields of experience. Drawing on the expertise of Glaholt Bowles LLP – one of Canada's leading and most respected construction law firms – this important title is an essential reference for anyone seeking guidance on the legal framework governing construction activity in Canada.
Topics covered include:
- The nature of the building contract
- Parties, forms and types of contracts and project delivery methods
- Offer and acceptance
- Terms, formalities and interpretation
- Remedies for breach
- Law of tendering
- Issues of contracts and torts
- Reprisal clauses
- Letters of intent
Performance and payment
- Duty to complete the work
- Substantial performance and conditions precedent
- Time for completion and delay
- Liquidated damages
- Obligations of the owner
- Payment, access, interference, permits and drawings
- Extra work, including extras in specific contracts and authorization
- Design, workmanship and materials
- Defective work, defective materials and acceptance
- Non-completion and termination
- Frustration, termination, repudiation and rescission
- Building codes, building permits and negligent inspection
- Payment certificates
- Determined by contract
- Time of payment
- Prompt payment in Ontario
- Purpose and nature of construction liens
- Constitutional issues and statutory schemes
- The lien claimant and the lienable Interest
- Holdbacks , enforcement and expiry of the lien
- Vacating lien by posting security
- General priority of liens, mortgages and wage earners
Other construction remedies
- Claims in contracts and torts
- Quantum Meruit and other heads of damages
- Concurrent liability in contract and tort
- Negligence, nuisance, trespass and the rule in Rylands v. Fletcher
- Surety bonds
- Builder's risk insurance and commercial general liability insurance
- Construction trusts
- Alternative dispute resolution
Architects and engineers
- Statutory and common law framework
- Qualification and professional conduct
- Special contractual issues
- Intellectual property issues
- Damages against architects and engineers
Government construction contracts
- Federal and provincial government contracts
- Inter-provincial agreements
And much more.
The authors wish to recognize the significant contribution made by Andrea W.K. Lee, LL.B., B. Arch., MRAIC, a partner at Glaholt Bowles LLP, who wrote the initial draft of Chapter V, Architects and Engineers.
Table of contents
I. Building Contracts
V. Architects and Engineers
VI. Government Construction Contracts
The Law of ADR in Canada – An Introductory Guide, 3rd EditionRelease date: June 20, 2022$135.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Administrative Law (2022 Reissue) / Agriculture (2022 Reissue) / Alternative Dispute Resolution (2022 Reissue)Release date: July 29, 2022$330.00
New!PreorderInvestment Canada Act: Commentary and Annotation, 2024 EditionNew!Release date: November 30, 2023$145.00