Due to our backend system billing upgrade, orders placed after October 30 will be processed on November 2.
Thank you for understanding.
Canadian Income Tax Law, 7th Edition
This work provides an overview of the foundations of tax law and the critical cases which have shaped each component of the tax regime, uniquely combining the best features of both a textbook and casebook.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Now in its seventh edition, Canadian Income Tax Law combines the best features of a textbook and a casebook by providing an overview of the foundations of tax law and the critical cases which have shaped each component of the tax regime. Reviewing the basic structure of the income tax, the interpretation of tax legislation, judicial and statutory approaches to tax avoidance, and the statutory rules and judicial decisions governing the computation of a taxpayer’s income, the authors provide expert commentary and analysis, making this book — cited by the Supreme Court of Canada — a unique resource for students and lawyers alike.
- Key extracts from leading cases offer the most authoritative precedents for each aspect of income tax law practice
- Provides concise explanations and analyses of critical sections of the Income Tax Act
- Introductory chapters lay the foundation for the examination of statutory provisions and judicial decisions; the remaining chapters follow the structure of the Income Tax Act
- Provides a useful bridge between the highly technical statutory interpretation material that practitioners use every day, and the primary sources of law (i.e. statutes and cases)
What's New in This Edition
The seventh edition of Canadian Income Tax Law includes a new section on the taxation of Indigenous people, an expanded analysis of the application of the source concept of income to fraud cases, substantial revisions to the section on the deduction of expenses in computing income from a business or property, and a revised section on the characterization of gains and losses from the disposition of securities and derivatives. The authors also discuss and comment on the latest legal and legislative developments — including amendments to the employee stock option rules, and recent decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Who Should Read This Book
- Tax lawyers – provides quick access to important judicial decisions and explanations of key statutory provisions
- Legal academics – provides a comprehensive overview of Canadian income tax law and the relevant cases that have shaped the integral components of the tax law regime
- Law students – an authoritative guide to the interpretation and application of Canadian income tax law, with the most recent updates on relevant case law
- Wills and estates lawyers – useful for those who may occasionally want to refer to tax decisions
Table of contents
PART ONE: INTRODUCTION
Chapter 1: Introduction to the Income Tax
Chapter 2: Introduction to Statutory Interpretation
Chapter 3: Introduction to Tax Avoidance
PART TWO: COMPUTATION OF INCOME OR LOSS
Chapter 4: Income or Loss from an Office or Employment
Chapter 5: Income or Loss from a Business or Property
Chapter 6: Taxable Capital Gains and Allowable Capital Losses
Chapter 7: Other Income and Deductions
Chapter 8: Rules Relating to the Computation of Income
PART THREE: COMPUTATION OF TAXABLE INCOME AND TAX PAYABLE
Chapter 9: Computing Taxable Income
Chapter 10: Computing Tax Payable
Taxation of Business Organizations in Canada, 2nd EditionRelease date: December 18, 2019$220.00
Taxation of Business Organizations in Canada, 2nd Edition – Student EditionRelease date: December 18, 2019$140.00
New!Clarke's Offshore Tax Planning 2023-24 (30th edition)New!Release date: December 11, 2023$601.65