The Practitioner's Ontario Criminal Practice, 2023 Edition + E-Book
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Keep Current. Stay Informed. Be At Your Best in The Courtroom.
With the passing of Bill C-75, which became law on July 21, 2019, then September 19, 2019 and finally December 18, 2019 there have been significant changes to the substantive criminal law, which also affect practices and procedures before trial courts. The COVID-19 pandemic also saw significant changes to criminal practice procedure some which have been adopted or adapted going forward.
Whether you are a defense lawyer, crown counsel, judge or paralegal, this annual annotated publication is a necessary reference for understanding and working within the rules of practice that govern criminal proceedings at all three levels of court in Ontario: Ontario Court of Justice, Superior Court of Justice and Ontario Court of Appeal. The perfect companion to the Gold Code, this book provides the information on criminal practice which isn't found in any annotated Criminal Code.
Features and Benefits
- Provides annotation of most recent case law from court decisions in relation to the rules of practice of the three levels of court in Ontario
- Written in an easy-to-follow format, following Alan Gold's five practitioner-centric principles:
1) Analysis, not just annotations
2) Syntheses, not just summaries
3) Case commentaries, not just summaries
4) The point of the cases, not just the cases on point
5) "Cases of note" rather than "cases of not"
- Helpful table of concordance illustrates the differences between the old and current Criminal Appeal Rules
- Offers a one-stop reference guide providing relevant Criminal Code provisions and commentary from The Practitioner's Criminal Code
- Includes cross-references to relevant precedents from The Practitioner's Criminal Precedents, 5th Edition
- Features relevant practice directions issued by courts
Highlights of the 2023 Edition
- The new Criminal Appeal Rules effective November 1, 2021
- Practice directions using remote appearance technology for some court appearances
Who Will Benefit?
- Criminal defense lawyers – When conducting criminal defense in compliance with the procedural requirements of the court
- Crown counsel – When conducting prosecution in compliance with the procedural requirements of the court
- Judges – When applying and interpreting the applicable court rules
- Licensed paralegals – Who need to know how to properly defend traffic court charges under the Provincial Offences Act, and minor criminal charges in compliance with the applicable court rules
- Paralegal students – Who need to understand the interplay of the criminal rules of the different levels of courts in Ontario
Table of contents
Court of Appeal for Ontario
Criminal Appeal Rules (Annotated)
Rules of the Court of Appeal in Appeals under the Provincial Offences Act (O. Reg. 721/94)
Superior Court of Justice
Criminal Proceedings Rules for the Superior Court of Justice (Annotated)
Ontario Court of Justice
Criminal Rules of the Ontario Court of Justice (Annotated)
Provincial Offences Act
Ontario Review Board Overview
Ontario Review Board Rules of Procedure
Appendix: Directory of Web Addresses
A Practical Guide to the Charter: Section 11(b)Release date: April 04, 2019$125.00
A Practical Guide to the Charter: Section 10(b) + USBRelease date: August 24, 2020$125.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Controlled Drugs and Cannabis (2021 Reissue) / Crown (2021 Reissue)Release date: April 29, 2021$330.00