Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Act & Commentary, 2022/2023 Edition
This concise guide to the law relating to workers' compensation in Ontario is designed for lawyers, in-house counsel, paralegals, OHS staff, union representatives, HR professionals and workers' advisory organizations.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Changes to Workers’ Compensation Entitlements During the Pandemic
This concise guide to the law relating to workers' compensation in Ontario is designed for lawyers, in-house counsel, paralegals, human resources professional OHS staff, union representatives and workers' advisory organizations. The book contains 13 chapters, outlining the law in Ontario and the procedural requirements of handling or appealing a claim. Other features include the full text of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 and the Workers' Compensation Act (pre-1998), and pertinent extracts of previous legislation, along with regulations and other related statutes.
- 13 commentary chapters written by authors with over 30 years of practical experience in the field
- A chapter on suitable employment provides practical assistance in understanding the factors that will be examined when determining whether an offer of modified work will be considered suitable
- Update on changes in Board policies and Administrative Practice Documents, and pertinent Appeals Tribunal decisions and practice directions
- Full text of relevant acts and regulations, and predecessor legislation
Highlights of the New Edition
The 2022/2023 Edition features discussion about:
- Worker’s entitlements to benefits for COVID-19 arising out of and in the course of employment
- Changes to time limits to objecting to Workplace Safety Insurance Board decisions brought about by COVID-19
- Policy changes to employer advances and top-ups
Who Will Benefit:
- Employment and labour lawyers who advise on workers' compensation matters
- Paralegals who represent clients in workers' compensation claims
- OHS Staff who are involved in the investigation and preparation of workers' compensation claims
- Union representatives who need to understand workers' compensation law and processes
- Workers advocacy organizations who advise workers on their rights
- Legal clinics that provide assistance in workers' compensation cases
- Human resources professionals who need an overview of workplace safety and workers' compensation legal requirements
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Which Act Applies?
Chapter 2: Workers' Compensation Resources
Chapter 3: Administration and Interpretation of the Act
Chapter 4: Coverage of the Act
Chapter 5: Injury by Accident Arising out of and in the Course of Employment
Chapter 6: Rehabilitation and Return to Work
Chapter 7: Suitable Employment
Chapter 8: Benefits – Determining Pre-Injury Earnings
Chapter 9: Benefits – Loss of Earnings Benefits
Chapter 10: Benefits – Non-Economic Loss Awards
Chapter 11: Claims and Payments Issues
Chapter 12: Employers' Duties and Assessments
Chapter 13: Appeals
Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 16, Sch. A
Workers' Compensation Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. W.11 (pre-1997)
Workers' Compensation Amendment Act, 1989, S.O. 1989, c. 47 (Bill 162) (post-1989)
Workers' Compensation Amendment Act, 1984 (No. 2), S.O. 1984, c. 58 (pre-1989)
Workers' Compensation Act, R.S.O. 1980, c. 539 (pre-1985)
Table of Concordance – Significant Sections Under Five Versions of Ontario's Workers' Compensation Legislation
Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 and Workers' Compensation Act Regulations
Insurance Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. I-8 (extract)
Government Employees Compensation Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. G-5
Table of Concordance