Ontario Litigator's Guide to Human Rights Practice, 2nd Edition
Pursuing human rights claims in the context of employment law can be challenging – especially given ongoing legislative amendments and evolving case law. That's why the publication of Ontario Litigator's Guide to Human Rights Practice, 2nd Edition is an essential guide for litigants.
Ontario Litigator's Guide to Human Rights Practice, 2nd Edition is a comprehensive and practical guide that provides up-to-date commentary on the range of practice issues that employment lawyers, litigators, and self-represented litigants face when dealing with employment law matters before the human rights tribunal.
Offering expert commentary and advice on the relevant legislation, jurisprudence, rules and guidelines, this text provides guidance for litigants before the tribunal – as well as those pursuing human rights claims – on the current best practices in this area of the law, and acts as a one-stop resource for answers to the most common questions and suggestions for avoiding possible pitfalls.
The Book Will Provide:
- A comprehensive foundation to defining a human rights claim
- Assistance in navigating procedures before the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal
- Recognize standards of proof at the Hearing stage
- An understanding of remedies to a human rights claim
- Guidance on enforcement of Awards
This volume follows an accessible and intuitive structure, making it easy for users to find the information they're looking for. In addition, the appendices contain valuable information, including useful checklists and a summary chart of Ontario Human Rights Tribunal cases.
What’s New In This Edition
- Coverage of the new case processing system which is applicable to cases filed on and after March 1, 2018
- Discussion of new legal developments with respect to intersecting grounds of discrimination, the admissibility of similar fact evidence and mediation
- Updated appendices including new Tribunal Rules of Procedure and updated Tribunal Practice Directions
- Updated summary chart of Ontario Human Rights Tribunal cases which provide a summary of the allegations, the decision rendered, damages awarded and any applicable remedies
Aimed at litigants and counsel dealing with human rights issues related to employment law, Ontario Litigator's Guide to Human Rights Practice, 2nd Edition is an excellent resource for litigation lawyers, employment law practitioners, in-house counsel, human resources professionals, tribunal members and self-represented litigants.
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Fundamentals of Human Rights Law
Chapter 2: Where to Start
Chapter 3: Pre-Hearing Procedure
Chapter 4: Procedures and Proof at the Hearing
Chapter 5: Remedies
Chapter 6: Enforcement and Review of Awards
Appendix 1: Tribunal Rules of Procedure
Appendix 2: Tribunal Practice Directions
Appendix 3: Filings Checklist
Appendix 4: Documentary Disclosure Checklist
Appendix 5: Mediation and Adjudication Agreement
Appendix 6: Chart of HRTO Decisions from January 1, 2009 to June 1, 2020
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Landlord and Tenant (2017 Edition) / Legislation (2017 Edition) / Limitation of Actions (2017 Edition) / Liquor Control (2017 Edition)Release date: August 16, 2017$315.00
Ontario Employment Law Handbook – An Employer's Guide, 13th EditionRelease date: October 20, 2020$95.00
Alcohol & Drugs in the Canadian Workplace – An Employer's Guide to the Law, Prevention and Management of Substance Abuse, 3rd EditionRelease date: October 16, 2020$130.00