Nova Scotia Companies Act & Commentary, 2023 Edition
This publication is a consolidation of Nova Scotia's business law and incorporation statutes, including the Nova Scotia Companies Act, the Nova Scotia Partnerships Act, the Societies Act and the Co-operative Associations Act, along with expert commentary explaining the key features of this unique legislation.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
The Definitive Guide to a Unique Corporate Law Statute
The Nova Scotia Companies Act (NSCA) is one of the oldest general incorporation statutes still used in Canada today. First enacted in 1900, it has been substantially amended only thirteen times, and is one of the few remaining examples of the traditional English memorandum system of incorporation in Canada. This unusual provenance has resulted in an incorporation statute that is uniquely flexible and has preserved business structures such as the unlimited liability company that have made Nova Scotia the incorporation jurisdiction of choice for many inter-provincial and international businesses in recent years.
In this publication, author Robert Miedema provides a comprehensive consolidation of Nova Scotia's business law and incorporation statutes, including the Nova Scotia Companies Act, the Nova Scotia Partnerships Act, the Societies Act, the Co-operative Associations Act, and the Community Interest Corporations Act, along with expert commentary explaining the key features of NSCA.
The First Book of Its Kind
The NSCA is not currently published commercially in Canada, often leaving corporate legal practitioners and students in Nova Scotia to use unwieldy, un-indexed and often out-dated internet printouts. This publication finally provides a useful reference resource, offering a legislative consolidation of the NSCA together with all related statues, regulations and extensive commentary on such important topics as Nova Scotia's unlimited liability companies (ULCs).
Highlights of the 2023 Edition
- Discussion of modifications to corporate law and practice that were dictated pursuant to emergency management legislation during the State of Emergency declared in March 2020 and continuing today
- Discussion of legislative initiatives still in process to implement agreements between Canada’s finance ministers that were announced in December 2017—i.e., to combat money laundering and terrorist financing by requiring private firms to maintain current information on beneficial ownership that is accessible to law enforcement and to eliminate the use of bearer shares (called “warrants” in Nova Scotia’s Companies Act) as an extension of requirements previously imposed on financial institutions, securities dealers, life insurance, and money services businesses in accordance with Canada’s international commitments as part of the Financial Action Task Force
A Portable, Must-Have Reference For
- Nova Scotia corporate law practitioners – the only book available providing a useful consolidation of statutes and expert commentary regarding the Nova Scotia Companies Act, its important features and salient case law
- Law school students in Atlantic Canada – as part of their academic materials
- Canadian and U.S. corporate law practitioners – who utilize unlimited liability companies in their cross-border transactions and who seek to have a greater understanding of the NSCA and corporate practice in Nova Scotia
- Law Libraries
Table of contents
Table of Contents (Detailed)
Tables of Concordance
Commentary: Business Corporations in Nova Scotia
Companies Act Regulations
Companies Winding Up Act
Corporations Miscellaneous Provisions Act
Corporations Registration Act
Corporations Registration Act Regulations
Securities Transfer Act
Limited Liability Partnerships Regulations
Limited Partnerships Act
Limited Partnerships Act Regulations
Partnerships and Business Names Registration Act
Partnerships and Business Names Registration Act Regulations
Limited Liability Partnerships Registration Regulations
Societies Act Regulation
Community Interest Companies Act
Community Interest Companies Regulations
Co-operative Associations Act
Co-operative Associations Regulations
Direction of the Minister under a Declared State of Emergency
New!PreorderPatent Legislation & Commentary, 2023 EditionNew!Release date: March 31, 2023$110.00
New!PreorderOntario Estate Administration, 9th EditionNew!Release date: April 28, 2023$120.00
New!PreorderCivil Procedure and Practice in Alberta, 2023 EditionNew!Release date: May 31, 2023$215.00