The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 4th Edition
A single comprehensive checklist to use for any Canadian research problem – fully updated and revised!
Based on the highly successful legal research text, Legal Problem Solving: Reasoning, Research and Writing, 8th Edition and written by the same experts, this resource directs you step-by-step through any legal problem – from identifying keywords to conducting electronic searches. Also included are brief descriptions of each of the various sources and research aids – from secondary materials and commentaries to statutes and regulations. No researcher should be without this handy yet critical tool.
- An author team which brings a wealth of knowledge of legal research and problem solving
- Simple checklist to ensure all aspects of legal research are explored and addressed
- Expert commentary on making an efficient and effective research plan
- Addresses how to approach and navigate legal commentaries, cases and legislation
New in this edition
The updated version of The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 4th Edition contains:
- Contains updated information and checklists on how to conduct legal research using paid and free resources and repositories
- Information about Canlii’s new feature: CanLII Docs
- Discusses new legal online database LawArXiv including how to use the free source to find Canadian case law and how to use the paid subscription to access additional resources
- Replaces information on how to conduct searches on LexisNexis Quicklaw to how to conduct searches on Lexis Advance Quicklaw following LexisNexis’ the migration to Lexis Advance Quicklaw
- New section on emerging artificial intelligence and predictive analytics databases and emerging tools available such as Loom Analytics and Blue J Legal Tax Foresight
A companion text
Purchasers of the textbook Legal Problem Solving: Reasoning, Research and Writing, 8th Edition will automatically receive The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 4th Edition as a companion volume. Together this combination provides a complete and detailed guide to legal research and the legal problem solving process, as well as a pocket checklist.
Table of contents
Before You Start, Make a Plan
Step 1: How to Find and Use Commentaries
Step 2: How to Find, Update and Note Up Cases
Step 3: How to Find, Update and Note Up Legislation
Helpful Research Tips
Appendix: Research Building Blocks