The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 4th Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
A single comprehensive checklist to use for any Canadian research problem – fully updated and revised!
Based on the highly successful legal research text, Legal Problem Solving: Reasoning, Research and Writing, 8th Edition and written by the same experts, this resource directs you step-by-step through any legal problem – from identifying keywords to conducting electronic searches. Also included are brief descriptions of each of the various sources and research aids – from secondary materials and commentaries to statutes and regulations. No researcher should be without this handy yet critical tool.
- An author team which brings a wealth of knowledge of legal research and problem solving
- Simple checklist to ensure all aspects of legal research are explored and addressed
- Expert commentary on making an efficient and effective research plan
- Addresses how to approach and navigate legal commentaries, cases and legislation
New in this edition
The updated version of The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 4th Edition contains:
- Contains updated information and checklists on how to conduct legal research using paid and free resources and repositories
- Information about Canlii’s new feature: CanLII Docs
- Discusses new legal online database LawArXiv including how to use the free source to find Canadian case law and how to use the paid subscription to access additional resources
- Replaces information on how to conduct searches on LexisNexis Quicklaw to how to conduct searches on Lexis Advance Quicklaw following LexisNexis’ the migration to Lexis Advance Quicklaw
- New section on emerging artificial intelligence and predictive analytics databases and emerging tools available such as Loom Analytics and Blue J Legal Tax Foresight
A companion text
Purchasers of the textbook Legal Problem Solving: Reasoning, Research and Writing, 8th Edition will automatically receive The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 4th Edition as a companion volume. Together this combination provides a complete and detailed guide to legal research and the legal problem solving process, as well as a pocket checklist.
Table of contents
Before You Start, Make a Plan
Step 1: How to Find and Use Commentaries
Step 2: How to Find, Update and Note Up Cases
Step 3: How to Find, Update and Note Up Legislation
Helpful Research Tips
Appendix: Research Building Blocks
Legal Problem Solving – Reasoning, Research and Writing, 8th EditionRelease date: June 27, 2019$115.00
New!PreorderA Practitioner’s Guide To Preparing and Presenting Bail HearingsNew!Release date: May 31, 2021$110.00
New!PreorderAnnotated Firearms Act & Related Legislation, 5th EditionNew!Release date: April 30, 2021$160.00