The Definition of Convention Refugee, 2nd Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
In this softcover, easy-to-use manual, Lorne Waldman, Canada’s leading immigration and refugee law practitioner clearly explains each element in the criteria for refugees under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and analyzes the jurisprudence as it has developed in Canada with references to other sources of international law..
The book serves as an authority on current Canadian refugee law, which is based on the definition of refugee status contained in the United Nations’ 1951 Refugee Convention and the United Nations Convention Against Torture. With thousands of applicable cases synthesized, this publication is an indispensable manual for immigration lawyers and consultants, as well as paralegals and government policy advisors.
- Extensively researched, with thousands of applicable cases synthesized
- Covers almost every single point of law and all case law needed for a good grasp of this area of practice
- Examines in depth key recent issues decided by the Supreme Court of Canada and appellate courts such as:
- The interpretation of the exclusion clauses in Ezokola and Febles and Mugesera
- The clarification of Article 1 E , state protection, the internal flight alternative and nexus to the definition of Convention Refugee.
- The incorporation into Canadian Immigration Law of the protections of the Convention Against Torture through the introduction of section 97 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Discusses issues such as the application of the concept of generalized risk and its application when a person seeks recognition as a person is in need of protection; the meaning of cruel unusual treatment or punishment.
- Full text of Part 2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (ss. 95-116)
- Detailed index
Who Needs This Book
- Immigration lawyers – To advise potential refugee clients of the law and act for them
- Immigration consultants – Written in plain language that enables non-lawyers to benefit from the guidance contained in the book
- Paralegals – To advise potential refugee clients of the law and act for them
- Government Policy Advisors / Legal Counsel – To advise on government policies regarding refugees
- Legal Clinics and Refugee Law Advocacy Organizations – To advise potential refugee clients of the law and to advocate refugees’ rights
- Law Libraries – Serves as a general reference on refugee law
Table of contents
2. Historical Background
3. Well-Founded Fear
5. The Reason for the Persecution: The Question of Nexus
6. Outside the Country of Nationality
7. Inability or Unwillingness to Seek the Protection of the Country of Nationality.
8. Cessation and Exclusion
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Immigration and Citizenship (2019 Reissue)Release date: October 28, 2019$320.00
Immigration Law and Practice, 2nd EditionRelease date: January 01, 2005$1,560.00
Canada's Refugee Determination Procedure: A Guide for the Post Bill C-31 EraRelease date: September 30, 2013$140.00