Responsibility, Fraternity and Sustainability in Law – In Memory of the Honourable Charles Doherty Gonthier / Responsabilité, Fraternité et Développement Durable en Droit – En mémoire de l'honorable Charles Doherty Gonthier
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
The late Supreme Court of Canada Justice Charles Doherty Gonthier was a respected jurist known for his compassion, integrity and wisdom - one who constantly sought novel solutions to legal problems, and devoted his life to furthering global justice and sustainable development of the law. His worldview was based on the principles of fraternity, responsibility and sustainability in law, and much of his work and legal writings continue to earn the respect and admiration among today's lawyers, legal academics and judges.
This exclusive collection of 42 written tributes from leading jurists, practitioners and legal academia (with contributions from former Supreme Court of Canada judges Frank Iacobucci and Claire L'Heureux-Dubé) celebrates the late Honourable Charles Doherty Gonthier's life's work and values. Filled with illuminating and insightful tributes, this tribute volume honours the late judge's jurisprudence and legacy in ways that will continue to influence a new generation of law and legal minds.
Features and Benefits
- Examine the legacy of Justice Gonthier, particularly in the areas of his writing, judgments and judicial ethics
- Read about Justice Gonthier's views on constitutional, corporate, criminal, and international law, plus more
- Study the assessments and views of different academia, jurists and practitioners about the methodology Justice Gonthier adopted with respect to the role of law and the courts
- Learn about the way the principles of Fraternity and Sustainability can explain important shifts in the law and provide new solutions to pressing legal issues
- Understand some recent legal developments regarding corporate or civic responsibility and human rights
- By reading this book, lawyers will be reminded of their ethical responsibilities, as well as understand the direction in which the law is headed
What You'll Find in This Volume
- In the first section, readers will learn about the life and contributions of Justice Gonthier as a humanist and a jurist, and in particular, his beliefs and principles
- In the second section, historical and legal analysis is provided to highlight Justice Gonthier's legal writings and judgments, and how they have shaped the laws of Canada
- In the final section, the volume examines the central themes of responsibility, fraternity and sustainability - principles that animated and inspired the life and work of Justice Gonthier
Who Should Read This Book
- Legal academics – learn about the legal writings and philosophies about one of the Supreme Court of Canada's most memorable judges
- Legal historians – anyone studying and researching the history and workings of the Supreme Court of Canada will wish to learn about one of its most influential judges
- Law libraries – a valuable addition to any collection of work on the history and background of the Supreme Court of Canada
Table of contents
- The Man, the Jurist: His Beliefs and Principles / Les convictions et les principes du juriste et de l'homme
- Responsibility in Canadian Law and Law-making / La responsabilité, le droit canadien et la production du droit
- Fraternity in Canadian Law and Law-making / La fraternité, le droit canadien et la production du droit
- Sustainability in Law / Le développement durable en droit
- A Legacy of Responsbility, Fraternity & Sustainability / La responsabilité, la fraternité et le développement durable en héritage
New!PreorderLaw of the Constitution: The Distribution of Powers, 2nd EditionNew!Release date: September 29, 2023$365.00
New!PreorderOntario Motor Vehicle Insurance Law & Commentary, 2024 EditionNew!Release date: September 29, 2023$120.00
New!PreorderCanada’s Cannabis Act: Annotation & Commentary, 2023/2024 EditionNew!Release date: September 29, 2023$160.00