Due to our backend system billing upgrade, orders placed after October 30 will be processed on November 2.
Thank you for understanding.
Management of Nonprofit and Charitable Organizations in Canada, 5th Edition
This book covers all aspects of management for all types and sizes of nonprofit organizations including registered charities, nonprofit organizations, nonprofit social enterprises, and other social purpose organizations.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Canada has one of the largest nonprofit sectors in the world. Over 170,000 organizations provide a vast array of services that affect the quality of life of almost every Canadian. As pressure to change and evolve intensifies, managers of nonprofit organizations face unique, ever-growing challenges to manage resources efficiently and effectively.
Management of Nonprofit and Charitable Organizations in Canada, 5th Edition covers all aspects of management for all types and sizes of nonprofit organizations including registered charities, nonprofit organizations, nonprofit social enterprises, and other social purpose organizations. It ties together evidence-based best practices, risk management and strategic advice for all the critical areas that determine the success of a nonprofit organization. The team of contributors includes both leading scholars as well as seasoned practicing professionals in the field.
Discover the latest ideas and research on how to confidently manage:
- Boards of directors – create a high-performance board with clearly defined roles and responsibilities
- Executive leadership – build solid relationships with boards, staff, and stakeholders that lead to innovative and effective results
- Legal issues – identify and minimize areas of liability for directors, officers, staff, and volunteers
- Government and community relationships – understand why these important relations have changed in the past decade and how to thrive today
- Resource development – combat donor fatigue with innovative, targeted programs
- Planning – choose a strategic direction that will allow your organization to achieve its goals
- Accountability and evaluation – conduct meaningful performance assessments that meet government requirements and provide relevant information to your organization
- Money – avoid budgeting pitfalls, develop internal control systems to protect resources, and create financial reports that satisfy all stakeholders
- People – help staff and volunteers to work together following human resources principles tailored to nonprofit organizations
- Technology – learn how to find and implement the latest in information and communications technology designed for nonprofit organizations
What’s New in This Edition
- Brand new co-editor Wenjue Knutsen
- The latest Statistics Canada data and trends on Canada’s nonprofit sector
- New chapter addressing social enterprise considerations in the nonprofit sector
- New chapter examining outcome measurement
- Coverage of the effects of the pandemic on Canada’s nonprofit sector
- Updates on theory and practice for managers
Who Should Read This Book
- Managers of charitable and nonprofit organizations, especially those who are new and need to learn how to manage all aspects of their organization
- Lawyers and other consultants advising charitable and nonprofit organizations who need to know how to reduce exposure to risk and liability associated with day-to-day management and fundraising
- Instructors of courses in management of charitable and nonprofit organizations who need a teaching resource that covers all the essential elements of managing nonprofit and voluntary organizations in Canada
Kunle Akingbola, Ph.D.
Carolyn Bodnar-Evans, M.Acc, CPA, C.A.
Kathy Brock, Ph.D.
Victoria Carlan, M.A.
Terrance S. Carter, B.A., LL.B., TEP, Trade-Mark Agent
Karen J. Cooper, B. Soc. Sc., LL.L., LL.B., TEP
Yvonne D. Cafik, Ph.D.
Melissa Goldstein, C.A., CPA
Michael Lickers, D.SocSci
Jane Matheson, Ph.D., RCSW
Andrea McManus, CFRE
Laurie Mook, Ph.D.
Vic Murray, Ph.D.
Chloe Westelmajer, Ph.D., ATR
Table of contents
Chapter 1: introduction: What is Special About Managing Nonprofit Organizations? – Keith Seel, Wenjue Knutsen and Vic Murray
Chapter 2: Nonprofit Organizations in Canada – David Lasby
Chapter 3: Optimizing the Role of the Board of Directors of Nonprofit Organizations in the Governance Process – Vic Murray and Yvonne D. Cafik
Chapter 4: Executive Level Management in Nonprofit Organizations – Keith Seel
Chapter 5: The Legal Context of Nonprofit Management – Terrance S. Carter and Karen J. Cooper
Chapter 6: Managing Nonprofit Relationships with Public, Private, Other Nonprofit Organizations and Media – Kathy L. Brock
Chapter 7: Resource Development Basics – Andrea McManus
Chapter 8: From Vision to Results: Strategic Management, Planning and Organizing – Kimberly Speers and Evert Lindquist
Chapter 9: Emerging Opportunities for Evaluation in Canada’s Nonprofit Sector Post-Pandemic – Victoria Carlan
Chapter 10: Outcome Measurement: Understanding and Determining Client and Program Success – Jane Matheson and Chloe Westelmajer
Chapter 11: Financial Management in Nonprofit Organizations – Carolyn Bodnar-Evans and Melissa Goldstein
Chapter 12: Human Resources in Nonprofit Management – Kunle Akingbola and Agnes Meinhard
Chapter 13: Optimizing the Potential of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Organizations Through information and Communications Technology (ICT) – Yvonne D. Cafik
Chapter 14: Social Accounting – Laurie Mook
Chapter 15: Incorporating and Managing a Social Enterprise in Canada – Wenjue L. Knutsen
Chapter 16: Indigenous Considerations in the Nonprofit Sector – Michael Lickers
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice, 4th EditionRelease date: January 19, 2021$120.00
New!PreorderBritish Columbia Family Law Practice, 2024 Edition + E-BookNew!Release date: November 30, 2023$180.00
New!PreorderInvestment Canada Act: Commentary and Annotation, 2024 EditionNew!Release date: November 30, 2023$145.00