Management of Nonprofit and Charitable Organizations in Canada, 4th Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Canada has one of the largest nonprofit sectors in the world. Over 170,000 organizations provide a vast array of services that affect the quality of life of almost every Canadian. As pressure to change and evolve intensifies, managers of nonprofit organizations face unique, ever-growing challenges to manage resources efficiently and effectively.
This new edition is the only comprehensive resource that covers all aspects of management, for all types of nonprofit organizations and charities in Canada. Each chapter is written by a contributor who is a leader in the charity and not-for-profit sector, from across Canada.
Discover the latest ideas and research on how to confidently manage:
- Boards of directors – create a high-performance board with clearly defined roles and responsibilities
- Executive leadership – build solid relationships with boards, staff, and stakeholders that lead to innovative and effective results
- Legal issues – identify and minimize areas of liability for directors, officers, staff, and volunteers
- Government and community relationships – understand why these important relations have changed in the past decade and how to thrive today
- Resource development – combat donor fatigue with innovative, targeted programs
- Planning – choose a strategic direction that will allow your organization to achieve its goals
- Accountability and evaluation – conduct meaningful performance assessments that meet government requirements and provide relevant information to your organization
- Money – avoid budgeting pitfalls, develop internal control systems to protect resources, and create financial reports that satisfy all stakeholders
- People – help staff and volunteers to work together following human resources principles tailored to nonprofit organizations
- Technology – learn how to find and implement the latest in information and communications technology designed for nonprofit organizations
New in This Edition
- Scope of this new edition has been expanded and revised to include a new chapter on Indigenous considerations for a nonprofit organization
- Updated case law, legislation and statistics, including commentary on Bill 154, which passed its third reading on November 1, 2017, and developments relating to the Anti-Terrorism Act and ensuring the charitable organizations are compliant
- A new section on emerging opportunities that are engaging for executive directors
- Expanded section and chart of legal rules that affect charities
- Managers of Charitable and nonprofit organizations, especially those who are new and need to learn how to manage all aspects of their organization
- Lawyers and other consultants advising charitable and nonprofit organizations who need to know how to reduce exposure to risk and liability associated with day-to-day management and fundraising
- Instructors of courses in management of charitable and nonprofit organizations who need a teaching resource that covers all the essential elements of managing nonprofit and voluntary organizations in Canada
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Introduction: What Is So Special About the Management of Nonprofit Organizations? – Keith Seel, Bow Valley College & Vic Murray, University of Victoria
Chapter 2: Nonprofit Organizations in Canada– Michael H. Hall, YMCA of Greater Toronto
Chapter 3: Managing the Governance Function: Developing Effective Boards of Directors – Vic Murray, University of Victoria
Chapter 4: Executive Level Management in Nonprofit Organizations – Keith Seel, Bow Valley College
Chapter 5: The Legal Context of Nonprofit Management – Terrance S. Carter & Karen J. Cooper
Chapter 6: Government and Community Relations – Kathy L. Brock, Queen's University
Chapter 7: Resource Development Basics – Andrea McManus, ViTreo Group, Calgary
Chapter 8: Planning and Organizing for Results – Thea Vakil, University of Victoria
Chapter 9: On Impact: Emerging Challenges of Evaluation for Canada's Nonprofit Sector – Susan D. Phillips & Victoria Carlan, Carleton University
Chapter 10: Financial Management in Nonprofit Organizations – Carolyn Bodnar-Evans, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
Chapter 11: Managing the Human Dimension in Nonprofit Organizations: Paid Staff and Volunteers – Agnes Meinhard, Ryerson University
Chapter 12: Optimizing the Potential for Information and Communications Technology in Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Organizations – Yvonne D. Harrison, Luther College at the University of Regina
Chapter 13: Social Accounting – Laurie Mook, Arizona State University
Chapter 14: Indigenous Considerations in the Nonprofit Sector – Michael Lickers, Suncor Energy
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice, 4th EditionRelease date: January 19, 2021$110.00
New!PreorderThe Law of Search and Seizure in Canada, 12th EditionNew!Release date: December 31, 2021$400.00
New!PreorderCanadian Federal Courts Practice, 2022 Edition + E-Book / Pratique devant les Cours fédérales, édition 2022 + livre électroniqueNew!Release date: December 31, 2021$183.00