Legal Writing and Research Manual, 8th Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Comprehensive research. Effective writing. Successful practice.
The need for comprehensive research and clear, effective writing spans all areas of legal practice, from civil litigation and constitutional law to family law and criminal appeals. In many situations, proper representation of a client's interests depends on the lawyer's ability to identify and research the relevant issues, and then persuasively communicate the points that support the client's case. However, navigating the world of case law and legislation can be overwhelming – especially for law students and new lawyers. That's what makes this latest edition of Legal Writing and Research Manual required reading, and a necessary addition to law libraries across Canada.
Highlights of This Book
- Discover the sources of primary and secondary legal materials
- Learn the research techniques used to locate statutes, regulations and cases
- Understand how to research a legal problem and prepare a legal memorandum
- Explore the continually developing world of online legal research
- Master the citation of case and statutory authorities, as well as the general rules of style in legal writing
- Review sample legal documents to gain additional insight
New in This Edition
- Discussion of new online research tools and databases such as Lexis Advance Quicklaw, WestlawNext, Codify, Legisinfo
- Revised sample legal documents as helpful references: Factum, Legal Brief, Legal Memorandum
- Discusses new platforms for Canadian Encyclopedic Digest (CED) Ontario and CED Western and how to access them
- Useful websites for searching UK legislation
- Contains relevant new, revised and amended legislation for each province and territory such as interpretation acts
- New information on how to cite legislative documents from First Nations
- How to access Halsbury’s Laws of Canada on Lexis Advance
An Invaluable Resource For
- Lawyers and law clerks who want to brush up on their research and writing skills
- Law libraries and associations who want to ensure their collection of resources is complete
- Librarians who can pass on the tips and suggestions for effective research and writing
- Law students who need to learn the ins and outs of legal research and writing and who will benefit from the instruction and samples included in the book
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to Legal Research
Chapter 2: Primary Legal Materials
Chapter 3: Secondary Legal Materials
Chapter 4: Legal Writing
Chapter 5: Writing a Brief
Chapter 6: Writing a Factum
Chapter 7: General Rules of Citation for Primary law
Appendix I: Abbreviations of Provinces and Territories
Appendix II: Common Abbreviations of Courts and Jurisdictions
Appendix III: Recommended Abbreviations for Major Canadian Report Series
Appendix IV: Recommended Abbreviations for Major English Report Series
Appendix V: Status of Reporters
Legal Writing and Research Manual, 8th Edition, Student EditionRelease date: November 19, 2019$110.00
New!PreorderCybersecurity in Canada: A Guide to Best Practices, Planning, and Management, 2nd EditionNew!Release date: March 31, 2021$135.00
New!PreorderHalsbury's Laws of Canada – Receivers and Other Court Officers (2021 Reissue) / Restitution (2021 Reissue)New!Release date: April 30, 2021$320.00