Due to our backend system billing upgrade, orders placed after October 30 will be processed on November 2.
Thank you for understanding.
Introduction to Legal Ethics, 2nd Edition
Written by a law professor with extensive teaching experience in legal ethics, this book covers all of the topics suggested by the Federation of Law Societies (FLSC) with respect to legal ethics teaching.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
All successful lawyers – regardless of their practice areas and number of years at the bar – have one thing in common: a strong and abiding adherence to legal ethics. The Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) and other provincial law societies now mandate the teaching of legal ethics as part of the law school curricula. Written by a law professor with extensive teaching experience in legal ethics, this book covers all of the topics suggested by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada (FLSC) with respect to legal ethics teaching.
The legal ethics principles are written in a manner that are easy to read, digest, and apply to the everyday practice of law. For students of law, the book's fact scenarios will help generate classroom discussions about the various legal ethics issues that arise in the practice of law. For practitioners who could use a refresher, this text explains in a clear and succinct manner the rules that govern professional conduct.
What's New in this Edition?
- Full text of the LSUC Rules of Professional Conduct, with amendments current to May 26, 2016, as well as the FLSC Model Rules (as amended to May 10, 2016)
- Full text of the LSUC Rules, as well as the FLSC Model Rules where they differ from the LSUC Rules to reflect the growing harmonization between both sets of rules
- Annotation of the most recent version of the LSUC Rules, and expert commentary elaborating on the differences and similarities between the LSUC Rules and the FLSC Model Rules where applicable
- Contains an updated Sandra's Trust, where a lawyer/protagonist faces a series of professional responsibility issues. Practically illustrates many common professional responsibility dilemmas, and poses questions to the reader about the conduct of the lawyer/protagonist
- Self-study with the updated answer key to Sandra's Trust which elaborates on the appropriate answer to each professional responsibility issue, with reference to both LSUC and FLSC rules
- New Section – A summary of the top 10 leading ethics cases in Canada
Who Should Read This Book?
- Lawyers in private practice – this book helps lawyers better understand legal ethics and rules of professional conduct. It can also be provided to clients to give them an understanding of the rules that govern lawyers' professional lives
- Ontario law students and law professors – This book can be used for the LSUC-required legal ethics and professional responsibility course
- Law students and law professors in the rest of Canada – This book can be used for any course teaching legal ethics and professional conduct
- Law societies in Canada – Can be used as a textbook accompanying any legal ethics CLE courses
- Undergrad students in legal or justice studies – This book complements undergrad courses that teach criminology, legal or justice studies
Table of contents
About the Author
PART I – Annotated Rules of Professional Conduct
Chapter 1 – Citation and Interpretation
Chapter 2 – Integrity
Chapter 3 – Relationship to Clients
Chapter 4 – The Practice of Law
Chapter 5 – Relationship to the Administration of Justice
Chapter 6 – Relationship to Students, Employees, and Others
Chapter 7 – Relationship to the Law Society and Other Lawyers
PART II – Sandra's Trust, a legal ethics novella
Chapter 1 – The Client
Chapter 2 – The Father and the Fiancé
Chapter 3 – An Unexpected Visit
Chapter 4 – The Chase
Chapter 5 – The Moolah
Chapter 6 – The Missing Funds
Chapter 7 – Grease Is the Word
Chapter 8 – The Fedora
PART III – Answer Key
B. Overview of Core Results
C. Chapter Answers
PART IV – Case Summaries
1. Duty of Loyalty
2. The Duty to Practice with Integrity
3. The Obligation to Provide Competent Legal Services
International Taxation in Canada - Principles and Practices, 4th EditionRelease date: August 23, 2018$205.00
New!British Columbia Family Law Practice, 2024 Edition + E-BookNew!Release date: November 30, 2023$180.00
New!Investment Canada Act: Commentary and Annotation, 2024 EditionNew!Release date: November 30, 2023$145.00