Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Occupations and Trades (2019 Reissue) / Pensions (2019 Reissue)
Begin updating your law library today!
$135* per volume (ISBN: 9780433454946) OR purchase individual volumes at $315 each.
For more information or to place an order please contact us.
*Per volume with commitment to purchase the entire 72-volume set.
OCCUPATIONS AND TRADES
Nada Khirdaji, B.A. (Hons.), M.A., LL.B & Ron J. Maddock, LL.B.
In addition to the fields of health care and law, provinces routinely regulate the operation of several important professions that interact with lawyers and their clients. Accountants, architects, engineers, land surveyors and others play important roles in many legal files, and issues of qualification, misconduct and discipline readily arise. The provinces and territories also control entry into many skilled trades and have established programs allowing qualified trades people to practise their trade in any province or territory without having to obtain additional qualifications. The Halsbury's Occupations and Trades (2019 Reissue) title offers a straightforward description of the operation and responsibilities of these key self-governing or regulated professions, and of the rules governing entry into, and the practice of, various certified trades in Canada. It serves as an excellent first reference for anyone seeking a clear understanding of the rules that impact these groups.
Among the general areas canvassed for each profession are:
- Relevant provincial and territorial associations
- Governing bodies
- Membership requirements, licensing and entitlement to practice
- Practice reviews, misconduct and discipline
Other topics relevant to specific professions or trades include:
- Rules governing professional firms
- Duties and oversight mechanisms
- Provincial trade designation
- Inter-provincial standards for trades (Red Seal Program)
Susan G. Seller, LL.B, LL.M
In an area that is heavily regulated and often impacted by emerging case law, the Halsbury’s Pensions (2019 Reissue) title is indispensable for lawyers practising pension law, labour and employment law, and any practice area where pension questions emerge. This resource precisely details applicable federal and provincial legislation across Canada that provides the logistics of pension plans, including their administration, investment, termination and regulation and the calculation of individual pensions owing.
Specific topics in this essential national reference include:
- The federal and provincial legislative framework
- Regulation of pension plans and role of the Superintendent, Tribunal and Commission
- Charter issues
- Registration of pension plans under pension benefits standards and income tax legislation
- Eligibility for membership
- Deferred pensions and ancillary benefits
- Employer cost, member contributions and plan funding
- Family law issues
- Administration of pension plans
- Duties of plan administrator, fund administrator or trustee
- Disclosure of information
- Payment of plan expenses
- Sales, transfers and new plans
- Rules relating to seizure and attachment
- Rules governing the investment of pension funds
- Winding up of pension plans
- Impact of wrongful dismissal claims
Table of contents
OCCUPATIONS AND TRADES
II. Self-Governing Professions
III. Other Regulated Occupations
IV. Certified Trades
II. Registration of Pension Plans
III. Minimum Standards for Pension Plans
IV. The Nature of Pension Plans and Their Funding Media
V. Administration of Pension Plans
VI. Investment of Pension Funds
VII. Termination of Pension Plans
VIII. Regulation of Pension Plans
IX. Pension Plans and the Employment Relationship
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Vital Statistics (2019 Reissue) / Weights and Measures / Wildlife, Livestock and Pets (2019 Reissue)Release date: October 29, 2019$315.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Mental Health (2019 Reissue) / Military (2019 Reissue) / Mines and Minerals (2019 Reissue)Release date: September 27, 2019$315.00
New!PreorderThe Political and Constitutional Legacy of Pierre Elliott Trudeau / L’héritage politique et constitutionnel de Pierre Elliott TrudeauNew!Release date: December 31, 2020$125.00