Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Guarantee and Indemnity (2018 Reissue)
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Begin updating your law library today!
$135* per volume (ISBN: 9780433454946) OR purchase individual volumes at $320 each.
For more information or to place an order please contact us.
*Per volume with commitment to purchase the entire 72-volume set.
Guarantees are among the most common forms of security in use in commercial transactions, and vast sums of money are lent every year on the strength of guarantees. This title offers a detailed discussion of the law of guarantee, and also deals with similar forms of indemnity and related obligations.
Topics covered in this essential reference include:
- Creation of a guarantee
- Separate legal persons
- Capacity of the parties
- Intention to enter into a guarantee
- Guarantees as executory contracts
- Certainty of terms
- Illegality and public policy
- Offer and acceptance
- Subject to contract
- Discharge of a guarantee
- Appropriation of payments
- Fulfillment of purpose of guarantee
- Effect of rights of set-off
- Accord and satisfaction
- Departure from the guarantee - the principle of strict adherence
- Bankruptcy of a surety
- Guarantees of proposals in a bankruptcy
- Consumer protection legislation
- Defence by counterclaim
- Discharge by dissolution of the creditor
- Surety's rights as against the principal
- Right to indemnification
- Indemnification of surety - commercial bonding
- Compromise of claim on the surety
- Procedural considerations
- Bankruptcy of principal
Table of contents
1. Definition of the Term "Guarantee"
2. The Subject of Guarantees
3. Guarantees as Contractual Undertakings
II. Basic Principles
1. Guarantees and the Law of Contract
2. Creation of a Guarantee
3. Formalities of a Guarantee Contract
4. Interpretation of the Guarantee Contract
5. The Parol Evidence Rule
III. Assessing the Liability of the Surety
1. Liability under a Guarantee
2. Liability under Surety Bonds
3. Non-Guarantee Indemnities
4. Liability under Near Guarantees
1. Vitiating Factors
2. Discharge of a Guarantee
3. Other Defences to a Guarantee Action
4. Discharge of the Surety
5. Rescission and Repudiation
6. Faint Hope Defences
7. Contractual Waivers of Defence
V. The Rights of a Surety
1. As Against the Creditor
2. Surety's Rights as Against the Principal
3. Rights of a Surety Against Co-Sureties
4. Waiver of Rights
VI. Procedural Issues
1. Summary Judgment
2. Res Judicata and the Binding Effect of Judgments as Against the Principal
3. Evidence of Amount Owing
5. Guarantees Involving a Foreign Party
6. Enforcement of the Guarantee
7. Disclaimer of Contract in Bankruptcy or under CCAA
8. Want of Prosecution
9. Mitigation of Damages
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Civil Procedure (2021 Reissue)Release date: July 30, 2021$320.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Receivers and Other Court Officers (2021 Reissue) / Restitution (2021 Reissue)Release date: April 19, 2021$320.00
New!Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Inquests, Coroners and Medical Examiners (2021 Reissue) / Interim Preservation of Property Rights (2021 Reissue)New!Release date: August 24, 2021$320.00