Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Evidence (2018 Reissue)
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Begin updating your law library today!
$135* per volume (ISBN: 9780433454946) OR purchase individual volumes at $320 each.
For more information or to place an order please contact us.
*Per volume with commitment to purchase the entire 72-volume set.
The law of evidence is one of the most important – and, at times, challenging – areas of law. Because it is central to both the civil and criminal courtroom, a solid knowledge of its principles is essential for any lawyer whose files regularly or occasionally involve litigious matters. This important title brings together in one accessible source the law of evidence that applies in civil and criminal proceedings before Canadian courts. Topics covered include:
- Oral evidence
- Competency and compellability
- Testimonial qualifications of a witness
- Examination of witnesses, prior inconsistent statements, refreshed and recorded memory
- Burden and quantum of proof
- Civil and criminal proceedings
- Charter litigation and constitutional considerations
- Hearsay evidence
- Exceptions to the rule against hearsay
- Necessity and reliability
- Opinion evidence
- Statements to persons not in authority
- The confessions rule: statements to persons in authority
- Admissibility of statements
- Character evidence
- Application of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Commonly encountered Charter violations
- Principles of exclusion
- Formal admissions
- Res judicata
- Various categories of privilege
And much more.
Table of contents
Modes of Proof
- Introduction to the Law of Evidence
- Sources of the Law of Evidence
- Admissibility: Basic Concepts
- Relevancy, Probative Value and Prejudicial Effect
- Appellate Review
The Burden of Proof and Related Issues
- Oral Evidence
- Real Evidence
- Burden and Quantum of Proof
Statements by the Accused Person
- Traditional Exceptions to the Rule Against Hearsay
- The Principled Approach to Hearsay
- Statements to Persons not in Authority
- The Confessions Rule: Statements to Persons in Authority
- Statements by the Accused: Charter
- Lay Opinion
- Expert Opinion
Privilege and Related Grounds of Exclusion
- Character as a Fact in Issue
- Character as Circumstantial Evidence
Improperly Obtained Evidence
- Solicitor-Client Privilege
- Litigation Privilege
- Informer Privilege
- Matrimonial Communications Privilege
- Privilege for Settlement Discussions
- Case-by-Case Privilege
- Public Interest Immunity
- Privilege Against Self-Incrimination
- Records Subject to a Privacy Interest
Establishing Facts Without Evidence
- Common Law Background
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Judicial Notice and Related Doctrines
- Formal Admissions
- Res Judicata
New!PreorderImpaired Driving in Canada, 6th EditionNew!Release date: December 31, 2021$140.00
New!PreorderThe Law of Search and Seizure in Canada, 12th EditionNew!Release date: December 31, 2021$400.00
New!PreorderDrafting Wills in Canada: A Lawyer's Practical Guide, 3rd Edition + USBNew!Release date: December 31, 2021$220.00