Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Access to Information and Privacy (2020 Reissue)
Begin updating your law library today!
$135* per volume (ISBN: 9780433454946) OR purchase individual volumes at $315 each.
For more information or to place an order please contact us.
*Per volume with commitment to purchase the entire 72-volume set.
In today's information-driven society, the collection, use and disclosure of personal information is a critical yet ever problematic issue for government, business and individuals. Access to information held in vast government databanks and the use of personal information by third parties – in commercial, medical and private contexts – raise unprecedented legal questions, unique privacy concerns and vexing logistical problems.
Newly and thoroughly updated, Halsbury's Access to Information and Privacy (2020 Reissue) provides a definitive examination of the statutory and judicial framework that governs the rules, requirements, prohibitions, caveats and exemptions relevant to the fields of both access and privacy.
Access to information
- The federal, provincial and, where applicable, municipal statutory framework
- Rules governing data held by government bodies in the 10 Canadian provinces and 3 territories, including:
- The purpose, scope and application of access laws
- Legislation allowing access
- General, mandatory and discretionary exemptions to access
- Procedural issues
- Form and elements of a request
- Time limits
- Manner of access
- Reviews and appeals
- Offences and protection from prosecution and liability
- Public sector privacy issues
- The collection, use, and disclosure of personal information by government bodies
- Federal Privacy Act considerations and relevant provincial legislation
- Storage and care of personal information
- Private sector privacy issues
- Scope and application of PIPEDA
- Substantially similar legislation in provincial jurisdictions
- Right to access and correct personal information
- Role of consent
- Limits on collection, use and disclosure
- Special rules applicable to health information
- Privacy in an employment and labour context
- Civil liability and privacy torts
- Charter issues
- Personal information protection in miscellaneous statutes
Table of contents
I. Access to Information
II. Privacy in the Public Sector
III. Personal Information Protection in the Private Sector
IV. Health Information Custodians
V. Charter Issues
VI. Personal Information in Miscellaneous Statutes
VII. The Tort of Invasion of Privacy
VIII. Privacy in Employment and Labour
Selected Secondary Sources
Glossary of Defined Terms in Legislation Related to Access to Information and Privacy