Canadian Human Rights Law & Commentary, 3rd Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
"It is only when the international instruments and the domestic laws are compared that the gulf separating the domestic legal vocabulary from the international commitments becomes apparent."(From the Introduction)
Now in its third edition, this book gives the reader unique insight into Canadian human rights law and its interplay with the country's international human rights commitments. Specifically, the book focuses on the disparity between the rich human rights vocabulary of Canada's commitments under international law, and the much more limited use of the phrase "human rights" in domestic law. Canadian Human Rights Law & Commentary gives a balanced legal, philosophical and practical perspective which is rare to find in a book dealing with this subject matter; moreover, this balanced perspective enables the reader to better understand this area of law.
- Contains, in one single volume, all of the core human rights treaties to which Canada is a party, as well as selections from the relevant Canadian legislation
- Includes the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Contains the Optional Protocols to the core human rights treaties to which Canada is a party
New in This Edition
- Updated and expanded commentary reflects latest developments in the field of Canadian human rights law
- Discussion Questions for classroom use
- NEW extracts of human rights treaties and Canadian human rights documents relevant to commentary
Who Should Read This Book
- Human rights lawyers – to help explain the law to clients. With this book, there is no need to do exhaustive research; all relevant treaties and legislation are available at one's finger tips
- General practitioners – use as a handy reference for better understanding of this area of law
- Government policy advisors and counsel – refer to the book to ensure government policies are not in breach of human rights law. As well, they need to understand Canada's commitments to international human rights law in order to formulate foreign policies
- International human rights organizations in Canada – to monitor Canada's commitments to international human rights
Table of contents
Table of Cases
II. The Human Rights Project
III. Recognising Human Rights
IV. The Meaning of Human Rights: Some Ongoing Debates
V. Canada's Ongoing Commitment to the International Community
VI. The Gap between International and Domestic Human Rights Language
VII. Treaties and the Constitution
VIII. Remedies for Human Rights Violations
IX. The Domestic Legal Status of Human Rights Treaties
X. An Unfinished Project
A selection of human rights materials
A. Declarations and Principles
C. Canadian Laws
New!Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Income Tax (Corporate) (2023 Reissue)New!Release date: January 27, 2023$330.00
New!Canadian Income Tax Law, 7th EditionNew!Release date: January 19, 2023$195.00
Sopinka, Gelowitz and Rankin on the Conduct of an Appeal, 5th EditionRelease date: November 18, 2022$295.00