Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law, 4th Edition – Student Edition
This text is the only one of its kind that undertakes a thorough overview of the law of contractual interpretation from both the Canadian common law and Quebec civil law perspectives. This is a student edition.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Click here for the professional edition of Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law, 4th Edition.
Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law, 4th Edition is the only one of its kind that undertakes a thorough overview of the law of contractual interpretation from both the Canadian common law and Quebec civil law perspectives. Readers of the fourth edition will be equipped an understanding of virtually every issue pertaining to contractual interpretation.
Cited by courts across Canada including the Supreme Court of Canada
The author, Geoff Hall, a senior commercial litigator and adjunct law professor teaching contractual interpretation law, clearly explains the legal principles that underpin virtually every aspect of the interpretation of contracts, analyses past, present and future developments with reference to ample Canadian case authorities, and provides insight into how this dynamic area of the law may develop in the future.
What’s New In This Edition
- Many new updates since the previous edition published in 2016
- New chapter discussing the future developments in the law of contractual interpretation
- Addresses the standard of appellate review for standard form contracts in light of the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Ledcor
- Addresses the new test for rectification in light of the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Fairmont
- Considers the proper approach to contractual interpretation in Quebec in light of the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Uniprix
- Considers the future of the organizing principle of good faith
Who Should Read This Book
- Commercial litigators – to determine how to persuade courts to accept their clients' interpretations of disputed contractual provisions
- Commercial lawyers – to learn how the courts will interpret and apply the contracts they draft to ensure that their clients' wishes will prevail if there is a dispute
- Judges – a resource to refer to established contractual interpretation principles when adjudicating a contractual dispute
- Law schools and law libraries – a valuable addition to academic reference sources on contract law and contract legal doctrines; a resource when teaching contractual interpretation courses
Table of contents
Chapter 1 – Introduction
Chapter 2 – Fundamental Precepts of Contractual Interpretation
Chapter 3 – Elements of Contractual Interpretation
Chapter 4 – Implied Terms
Chapter 5 – Rectification
Chapter 6 – Estoppel by Convention
Chapter 7 – Agreements to Agree
Chapter 8 – The Interpretation of Specific Types of Contracts
Chapter 9 – The Interpretation of Specific Types of Clauses
Chapter 10 – Possible Future Developments in the Law of Contractual Interpretation
Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law, 4th EditionRelease date: November 19, 2020$305.00
New!PreorderOntario Landlord & Tenant Law Practice, 2023 EditionNew!Release date: November 30, 2022$162.00
New!Residential Tenancies in Ontario, 4th EditionNew!Release date: November 21, 2022$220.00