Assessment of Personal Injury Damages, 6th Edition
To evaluate loss in personal injury and fatal accident actions, a wide range of factors must be considered, including future earning capacity, costs of care, and numerous other levels of personal injury damages. This edition will help you to properly determine the amount a plaintiff is owed.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
How to Calculate Damages
To evaluate loss in personal injury and fatal accident actions, a wide range of factors must be considered - future earning capacity, costs of care, and numerous other levels of personal injury damages.
Assessment of Personal Injury Damages, 6th Edition will help you to properly determine the amount a plaintiff is owed. For ease of use, the book contains three sections:
- Calculation of damages – sample calculations for different types of losses using simple, tested formulae from the authors' own practice
- Statistical information – fully updated financial and statistical data from academic research and government statistical agencies such as Statistics Canada, covering education, income, household expenses, retirement, divorce and remarriage, earning prospects of the severely disabled, and more. Includes, interest rates, inflation, cost of living, and average wages
- Additional issues – practical information on how to select, examine, and cross-examine expert witnesses. Also covers strategies for disbursing awards
What's New in this Edition
- Updated Charts and Tables – includes fully updated charts and tables, analyzed and summarized for you, plus the latest court decisions from across Canada
- Management Fees – significantly detailed new section
- Cross versus Sole Dependency – revised analysis
- Criminal Activity – new section
- Sexual Abuse – new section concerning its effects on education/income
- Impact of a Mid-Career Change on Earnings – new section
- Economy-wide Changes in Productivity and Real Wages – revised discussion
- Discount Rates – significantly updated commentary including advantages and disadvantages of basing discount rates on Government Bonds, Annuities/Structure Settlements or Mixed Portfolios of Secure Investments
- Admissibility of Expert Evidence & the Expert’s Report – updated discussion
A Comprehensive Calculation Handbook for:
- Civil litigators seeking arguments for how damages are calculated, including strengths and weaknesses of arguments
- Accountants who rely on calculations when preparing statements about income loss
- Department of Justice employees who need a reference for composing personal injury and insurance legislation
- Law libraries that need an up-to-date reference on calculation of personal injury damages
- Structured Settlement Brokers responsible for negotiating and disbursing tax-effective payout of settlements
Table of contents
How to Use This Book
Chapter 1: Personal Injury – Excluding Cost of Care
Chapter 2: Personal Injury – Cost of Care
Chapter 3: Fatal Accident Claims
Chapter 4: Without-Accident Earnings
Chapter 5: With-Accident Earnings
Chapter 6: Rates of Growth of Earnings
Chapter 7: Positive Contingencies
Chapter 8: Negative Contingencies
Chapter 9: Retirement
Chapter 10: Household Services
Chapter 11: Dependency Rates
Chapter 12: Remarriage and Divorce
Chapter 13: The Discount Rate
Chapter 14: Experts
Chapter 15: Structured Settlements