A Guide to Canada’s Impact Assessment Act, 2020 Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
The new federal Impact Assessment Act (IAA) which came into force on August 28, 2019, represents a fundament shift in federal environmental assessment in Canada. The move from environmental assessment to impact assessment has resulted in a need for guidance on how the new legislation differs from the old and the ramifications of those differences. That’s what A Guide to Canada’s Impact Assessment Act, 2020 Edition aims to provide.
Practical and Informative
Written by three expert environmental lawyers, A Guide to Canada’s Impact Assessment Act, 2020 Edition offers valuable insight into the new Act as well as a detailed review of each of the processes that now govern impact assessment. In particular, practitioners of impact assessment and environmental, resources and infrastructure law will benefit from:
- The overview of the IAA, including the most relevant features
- The 10-point summary of the application and administration of the IAA
- Valuable commentary prepared by a team of leading environmental lawyers
- The full text of the IAA and the accompanying regulations
- The full text of the IAA’s predecessor statute, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012
As the first legal reference on the new legislation, A Guide to Canada’s Impact Assessment Act, 2020 Edition will prove indispensable to:
- Environmental consultants who are responsible for assessing the significance of environmental effects under IAA and numerous environmental regimes across Canada
- Environmental, energy, aboriginal law, and natural resources lawyers in public and private practice who advise clients on IAA issues and the significance of effects in numerous legal contexts
- Management and in-house counsel in the energy, mining and natural resources sectors who seek to comply with IAA and design projects to avoid or minimize significant environmental effects
- Regulatory personnel who administer IAA and other federal, provincial, territorial and self-government regimes that focus on the significance of environmental effects
- Teachers and advanced environmental studies students interested in environmental assessment inside and outside Canada
Table of contents
Part 1: Overview of the Impact Assessment Act
A. The new era
B. History of federal environmental assessment
C. New features in the IAA
D. 10-point summary of the application and administration of the IAA
E. Summary of the process required to carry out impact assessment
Part 2 : Impact Assessment Act and Regulations
Impact Assessment Act, S.C. 2019, c.28, s.1
Information and management of time limits regulations, SOR/2019-283
Physical activities regulations, SOR/2019-285
Designated classes of projects order, SOR/2019-323
Part 3: Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 and key Regulations
Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012, S.C. 2012, c.19, s.52
Regulations designating physical activities, SOR/2019-285
Prescribed information for the description of a designated project regulations, SOR/2012-148