Ontario Courtroom Procedure, 4th Edition + CD
Special Student pricing is available. Please contact Paula Sloss, Account Executive Academic Print Products at 416-200-6640 or 1-844-408-0655, or email email@example.com for more information.
Conveys the "unwritten rules" of courtroom procedure
One of the most daunting facts about Ontario trial procedure is the enormous body of tradition and unwritten rules. The fourth edition of Ontario Courtroom Procedure, contains expert interpretation and commentary on the most current developments in the law. The procedural aspects of all aspects of a criminal, civil or family trial – from the pre-trial stage to the verdict and sentencing – are covered.
Build your courtroom confidence with knowledge and experience distilled from leading judges and counsel, plus these time-saving features:
- Checklists to help you prepare for a trial, select a jury, hold a trial management conference, and much more
- Forms that can be completed during a trial, including forms to track criminal and civil jury selection
- Sample scripts for counsel, judges, and court staff for virtually every courtroom procedure
Ontario Courtroom Procedure, 4th Edition is the only resource to comprehensively address procedural issues in all three areas of law – criminal, civil, and family.
New in This Edition
- New Criminal Rules of the Ontario Court of Justice
- Amendments to the Criminal Code, including with regard to cross-examination of vulnerable witnesses, sentencing of an accused convicted for multiple murders , permission to testify behind a screen and non-identification of witnesses
- New Law Society of Upper Canada Rules
- New Practice Directions, including with regard to motions to transfer
- The new approach to summary judgment motions in light of Hryniak v. Mauldin,  S.C.J. No. 7
- Approval of bifurcated contempt hearings by the Court of Appeal in Boily v. Carleton Condominium Corporation No. 145,  O.J. No. 3625
- Admissibility and treatment of expert evidence in light of White Burgess Langille Inman v. Abbott and Haliburton Co.,  S.C.J. No. 23
- Review of expert's report by counsel in light of the Court of Appeal decision of Moore v. Getahun,  O.J. No. 398
- Updated and New Appendices, including Victim Impact Statement, Community Impact Statement, Rules respecting Opening and Closing Addresses and Statements, and Paperless Trial Manual Practical Guidance For All Stages of A Trial
Practical advice and guidance for all stages of a trial
- How do you prepare and argue an application or a motion in civil and criminal cases?
- How do you select a jury in a civil or criminal case?
- What should an opening address include in civil and criminal cases?
- What can you do to facilitate the presentation of evidence in the case in chief?
- What does an effective cross-examination involve?
- How can you best use demonstrative aids?
- What content is appropriate for closing submissions?
The go-to manual for:
- Civil litigators, criminal and family practitioners who need a reference source that covers courtroom procedures from routine to rare
- Judges who need a practical text covering courtroom issues that arise every day
- Law school faculty who want to incorporate courtroom procedures into courses on trial advocacy
- Paralegals and court tribunal agents who want to learn how a trial unfolds
- Articling students who want to prepare to appear in court
Table of contents
Table of Cases
Part 1: The Trial System in Ontario
Part 2: Litigants and Counsel
Part 3: The Language of the Trial
Part 4: Preparation for Trial
Part 5: Arriving at Court
Part 6: General Procedures at Trial
Part 7: Motions
Part 8: Starting the Trial
Part 9: Jury Trials
Part 10: Presenting Evidence
Part 11: Responding to the Evidence
Part 12: Closing the Case
Part 13: Deciding the Case
Part 14: Checklists
Part 15: Forms
Part 16: Appendices
Part 17: Ethical Rules and Guidelines
Part 18: Statutory Provisions Relating to Using Documents at Trial and Juries
New!Ontario Courtroom Procedure, 5th EditionNew!Release date: September 18, 2020$260.00
Sopinka, Lederman & Bryant - The Law of Evidence, 5th EditionRelease date: March 20, 2018$435.00
Sopinka, Lederman & Bryant – The Law of Evidence, 5th Edition, Student EditionRelease date: March 20, 2018$135.00