Accessing Justice - Appraising Class Actions Ten Years After Dutton, Hollick and Rumley
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Accessing Justice: Appraising Class Actions Ten Years After Dutton, Hollick&; Rumley
The Supreme Court of Canada's 2001 decisions in Dutton, Hollick and Rumley entrenched class actions as an important element of our civil justice architecture. Between them, the trilogy has been cited with approval in over 1100 cases and has continued to become a point of reference for further studies in class actions.
Fifteen leading scholars and class action lawyers, from Canada and abroad, discuss the aims of class action litigation, the extent to which access to justice has been advanced, and how we can maximize class actions' access to justice potential. Thoughtful and informed, this collection of conference papers is a must read for all class action litigators, judges and policymakers.
Table of contents
1. Jasminka Kalajdzic,Introduction
A. The Role of Class Actions in Canada
2. Hon. Frank Iacobucci, C.C., Q.C., LL.D.,"What Is Access to Justice?"
3. Lorne Sossin, "Revisiting Class Actions Against the Crown: Balancing Public and Private Legal Accountability for Government Action"
B. Access to Substantive Justice
4. Deborah Hensler, "Empirical and Theoretical Approaches to Measuring Access to Justice"
5. Catherine Piche, "The Class Action Settlement Actors: Who is Protecting Whom?"
6. Paul Morrison & Mark Rosenberg, "Missing in Action: An Analysis of Plaintiff Participation in Canadian Class Actions"
C. Behaviour Modification as Access to Justice
7. Jeff Berryman, "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink: Behavioural Modification, Cy-Pres Distributions and Class Actions"
8. John Kleefeld, "Homo Legislativus: Missing Link in the Evolution of 'Behaviour Modification'?"
D. Barriers to Collective Justice
9. R. Douglas Elliott, "Fringe Benefits: Class Actions for Marginalized People in Canada"
10. Louis Sokolov & Colleen Bauman, "Common Cause: Employment Related Class Actions in Canada"
11. Todd Hilsee, "Access to Justice in Class Actions Requires Effective Notice. A New Checklist for U.S. Judges Provides a Valuable Communications 'Roadmap' for Canada As Well"
E. Comparative Access to Justice
12. Christopher Hodges, "The European Approach to Justice and Redress"
13. Joanne Blennerhassett<, "Is It Time To Get the Multi-Party Started? Exploring the Spectrum of Mass Harm Redress in Ireland"
New!PreorderThe Practitioner's Guide to Estate Practice in Ontario, 8th Edition + USBNew!Release date: May 31, 2023$145.00
New!PreorderThe Law of Regulatory Investigations in CanadaNew!Release date: March 31, 2023$195.00
New!PreorderCanadian Business Corporations Law, 4th Edition – Volume 1 (General Principles)New!Release date: April 28, 2023$280.00