Canadian Civil Procedure Law, 2nd Edition – Student Edition
The Comprehensive Major Treatise That Meets All Your Needs
The rules of civil procedure govern every stage of the litigation process, so judges, lawyers and law students often need a quick and convenient means of researching them. Canadian Civil Procedure Law, 2nd Edition – Student Edition (softcover version) is precisely that sort of research tool. Written by a Master of the Superior Court of Justice and a well-known legal authority and practitioner, this book provides a comprehensive review of the practice area.
Only Canadian Civil Procedure Law, 2nd Edition provides an authoritative, affordable and portable source of expert analysis in textbook form.
New in This Edition
- The first major treatise to substantively discuss all significant changes to the Ontario Rules of Court which came into force on January 1, 2010
- Brand new chapters on such key aspects of civil procedure as statutes of limitation, proceedings against the Crown, and class proceedings
- All other chapters have been thoroughly revised to include the latest leading case law
Features and Benefits
- Clear, simple language - written so that a law student or novice practitioner can follow
- Comprehensive approach - 19 detailed chapters addressing every aspect of the civil procedure field, from initiating the proceeding by way of action or application to seeking costs on an appeal
- Broad scope - drawing on relevant case law from across Canada as well as leading British, Australian and American cases
- Detailed analysis - the authors point out inconsistencies in the case law and identify the preferred approach
- Up-to-date references - incorporating recent legislation and case law, including Supreme Court of Canada decisions of importance
- Convenient format - published in portable hardcover you can take to court or to the classroom
Answering the Key Questions
Throughout Canadian Civil Procedure Law, 2nd Edition you'll find specific commentary on the issues that often arise in practice, such as:
- What are the requirements for standing in a civil proceeding?
- What types of questions are not permitted on discovery?
- When is a stay available pending appeal?
- What are the various remedies for the enforcement of a court order?
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: The Civil Courts
Chapter 3: Foundation Principles and Concepts
Chapter 4: Commencement of a Civil Proceeding
Chapter 5: Statutes of Limitation
Chapter 6: Proceedings Against the Crown
Chapter 7: Class Proceedings
Chapter 8: Disposition of a Civil Claim Without Trial
Chapter 9: The Assumption of Jurisdiction
Chapter 10: Pleading of Claims and Defences
Chapter 11: Motions Within a Proceeding
Chapter 12: Interim Preservation of Rights
Chapter 13: The Discovery Process
Chapter 14: Moving Towards Trial
Chapter 15: Small Claims, Simplified Procedure and the Case Management Process
Chapter 16: Trials
Chapter 17: Costs
Chapter 18: Appeals
Chapter 19: Enforcement of Judgments and Orders