Drafting Wills in Canada: A Lawyer's Practical Guide, 2nd Edition + USB
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
An essential resource for any lawyer who is asked to draft wills
In the book, the authors demonstrate the most common errors made by solicitors in drafting wills, powers of attorney, and other estate planning documents. The detailed explanations that they provide give readers deep insight into why the errors are wrong and what can be done to correct them.
Drafting Wills in Canada: A Lawyer's Practical Guide, 2nd Edition includes helpful examples of good and bad drafting, along with dozens of practical tips both for drafting and for managing a wills practice.
Over 100 precedents
The authors chose precedents that can be used to correct the most common errors in drafting, and those that they found to be the most useful. Precedents are in both the book and provided on a USB so that you can tailor them to your own practice needs. In essence, the book is your own precedent file.
- 3 examples of complete wills (single will; primary will; secondary will)
- a glossary
- additional resources
What's new in this edition?
- New chapter on Business Interests – focuses on issues and red flags for lawyers drafting wills for business owners or those with private corporations; and the relevant tax legislation
- New precedents include – resulting trusts; designation of minor beneficiaries; RESPs for grandchildren; qualified disability trusts; and power to deal with digital assets
- New will drafting tips
- New and updated content added – graduated rate estates; new legislation in BC and Alberta; email marketing and CASL; TFSAs; timeshares; digital assets; and estates with foreign beneficiaries or assets, and more
A great resource for:
- General practitioners new to drafting wills or who only prepare a few – a practical handbook with valuable tips and precedents for drafting
- Wills, estates and trust lawyers – to assist in preparing well-drafted wills; a great refresher
- Wealth management professionals – for reference when dealing with wills issues
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Using Technology for Profitability
Chapter 3: Introductory Clauses
Chapter 4: Beneficiary Designations
Chapter 5: Appointment of Executor and Trustee
Chapter 6: Personal Property
Chapter 7: Business Interests
Chapter 8: Real Property
Chapter 9: Legacies
Chapter 10: Residue
Chapter 11: Trusts
Chapter 12: Executor and Trustee Powers
Chapter 13: Guardianship of Minors, Funeral Directions, Codicils and Memoranda, Family Definitions, and Other Will-Related Maters
Chapter 14: Multiple Wills
Chapter 15: Quebec Wills
Chapter 16: Powers of Attorney
Chapter 17: Practice Matters
Appendix A: Complete Wills
Appendix B: Websites, Resources, and Selected Bibliography
New!PreorderCybersecurity in Canada: A Guide to Best Practices, Planning, and Management, 2nd EditionNew!Release date: March 31, 2021$135.00
New!PreorderHalsbury's Laws of Canada – Athletics (2021 Reissue) / Aviation and Space (2021 Reissue)New!Release date: April 30, 2021$320.00
New!PreorderAnnotated Firearms Act & Related Legislation, 5th EditionNew!Release date: April 30, 2021$160.00