The Practitioner's Ontario Criminal Practice, 2020 Edition + E-Book
Keep Current. Stay Informed. Be At Your Best in The Courtroom.
Whether you are a defense lawyer, crown counsel, judge or paralegal, this annual annotated publication is a necessary reference for understanding and working within the rules of practice that govern criminal proceedings at all three levels of court in Ontario: Ontario Court of Justice, Superior Court of Justice and Ontario Court of Appeal. The perfect companion to the Gold Code, this book provides the information on criminal practice which isn't found in annotated Criminal Code.
Features and Benefits
- Provides annotation of most recent case law from court decisions in relation to the rules of practice of the three levels of court in Ontario
- Written in an easy-to-follow format, following Alan Gold's five practitioner-centric principles:
1) Analysis, not just annotations
2) Syntheses, not just summaries
3) Case commentaries, not just summaries
4) The point of the cases, not just the cases on point
5) "Cases of note" rather than "cases of not"
- Helpful table of concordance illustrates the differences between the old and current Criminal Appeal Rules
- Offers a one-stop reference guide providing relevant Criminal Code provisions and commentary from The Practitioner's Criminal Code
- Includes cross-references to relevant precedents from The Practitioner's Criminal Precedents, 5th Edition
- Features relevant practice directions issued by courts
Who Will Benefit?
- Criminal defense lawyers – When conducting criminal defense in compliance with the procedural requirements of the court
- Crown counsel – When conducting prosecution in compliance with the procedural requirements of the court
- Judges – When applying and interpreting the applicable court rules
- Licensed paralegals – Who need to know how to properly defend traffic court charges under the Provincial Offences Act, and minor criminal charges in compliance with the applicable court rules
- Paralegal students – Who need to understand the interplay of the criminal rules of the different levels of courts in Ontario
Table of contents
Court of Appeal for Ontario
Criminal Appeal Rules (Annotated)
Rules of the Court of Appeal in Appeals under the Provincial Offences Act (O. Reg. 721/94)
Superior Court of Justice
Criminal Proceedings Rules for the Superior Court of Justice (Annotated)
Ontario Court of Justice
Criminal Rules of the Ontario Court of Justice (Annotated)
Provincial Offences Act
Ontario Review Board Overview
Ontario Review Board Rules of Procedure
Appendix: Directory of Web Addresses