Ontario Municipal Act & Commentary, 2023 Edition
This guide incorporates the full text of the Municipal Act, 2001, and all the new and amended relevant regulations, along with handy tables of concordance.
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Keep Abreast of Recent Key Changes from the Ontario Land Tribunal Act, 2021, COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, and More!
The Authoritative Legal Guide to Ontario’s Municipal Act, 2001
For almost two decades, Ontario Municipal Act & Commentary has been the leading guide that municipalities and municipal law professionals regularly consult for understanding Ontario’s municipal law regime and keeping abreast of the latest developments of the law. This text incorporates the complete Municipal Act, 2001, and all the new and amended relevant regulations, along with a still useful table of concordance to the former Municipal Act and to the City of Toronto Act, 2006.
The indispensable commentary, written by leading municipal lawyers John Mascarin and Christopher Williams, provides a detailed analysis of the Municipal Act, 2001 to assist readers in understanding how the statute is to be interpreted and applied, as well as how it compares to the City of Toronto Act, 2006. All recent case law of note is commented upon, and all new and amended regulations are included.
What's New In This Edition
- Commentary on recent significant court decisions such as:
- Toronto (City) v. Ontario (Attorney General),  S.C.J. No. 34, 2021 SCC 34, that a municipality remains a creature of provincial statute with no independent constitutional status and upon which the province has absolute and unfettered discretion to do with it as it wills
- Stelmach Project Management Ltd. v. Kingston (City),  O.J. No. 3443, 2021 ONSC 4343, where the courts continue to follow and apply the broad and generous approach to interpreting municipal powers
- Chiarelli. v. Ottawa (City), 2021 ONSC 8256 and Kroetsch v. Hamilton (City) Integrity Commissioner, 2021 ONSC 7882 (Div. Ct.) respecting the powers and authorities of integrity commissioners
- Syrowik v. Wheeler, 2021 ONCA 819, where the Court of Appeal clarified the ability of a taxpayer to utilize the “self-help” remedy to restrain a by-law contravention
- Inclusion of recent amendments to the Municipal Act, 2001, including to Part X – Tax Collection
- Discussion of the newly enacted Ontario Land Tribunal Act, 2021
- Updated Municipal Act regulations, including O. Reg. 653/05 Debt-Related Financial Instruments and Financial Agreements
A Vital Tool For
- Ontario municipal law practitioners
- Municipalities and their legal departments
- Ontario Municipal Administrators' Association (OMAA) members
Table of contents
List of Municipal Act Regulations Included in This Edition
Detailed Table of Contents
Table of Concordance (Municipal Act, 2001 to Municipal Act, Other Statutes and City of Toronto Act, 2006)
Municipal Act, 2001
Municipal Act, 2001 Regulations
Declaration of Office
Memorandum of Understanding Between the Province of Ontario and AMO
Table of Regulations Continued Under the Municipal Act, 2001
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Maritime (2020 Reissue) / Municipal (2020 Reissue)Release date: September 16, 2020$325.00
New!PreorderAnnotated Ontario Building Code Act, 2023 EditionNew!Release date: September 30, 2022$139.00
A Comprehensive Guide to the City of Toronto Act, 2006Release date: June 30, 2008$140.00