Ontario Municipal Act & Commentary, 2020 Edition
The Authoritative Legal Guide to Ontario’s Municipal Act, 2001
For more than a decade, the Ontario Municipal Act & Commentary has been the leading guide that municipalities and municipal law professionals regularly consult for understanding Ontario’s municipal law regime and keeping abreast of the latest developments of the law. This text incorporates the complete Municipal Act, 2001, and all the new and amended relevant regulations, along with handy tables of concordance.
The indispensable commentary, written by leading municipal lawyers John Mascarin and Christopher Williams, provides a detailed analysis of the Municipal Act, 2001 to assist readers in understanding how it is to be its construed, interpreted and applied, as well as how it compares to the City of Toronto Act, 2006. All recent case law of note is commented upon, and all new and amended regulations are included.
New in This Edition
- Commentary on recent significant court decisions such as:
- Toronto (City) v. Ontario (Attorney General), (80 M.P.L.R. (5th) 26 (Ont. C.A.), where the Court of Appeal stayed a finding that the Better Local Government Act, 2018 relating to municipal electoral boundary contravened s. 2(b) of the Charter
- 2386240 Ontario Inc. v. Mississauga (City) 2019 ONCA 413, where the Court of Appeal upheld a municipal ban on hookah lounges
- Kenora (City) v. Eikre Holdings Ltd. (2018), 86 M.P.L.R. (5th) 298 (Ont. S.C.J.) which upheld broad interpretation of municipal by-law enforcement powers, including injunctive relief
- Guzar v. Puslinch (Township), 2019 ONSC 3511 (Div. Ct.), which dismissed a judicial review application alleging unlawful sub-delegation and a fettering of discretion on the part of the municipal council
- Amendments to the Municipal Act, 2001 up to S.O. 2019, c. 9, Sched. 9, s. 11.
A Vital Tool For
- Ontario municipal law practitioners
- Municipalities and their legal departments
- Ontario Municipal Administrators' Association (OMAA) members
Table of contents
List of Municipal Act Regulations Included in This Edition
Detailed Table of Contents
Table of Concordance (Municipal Act, 2001 to Municipal Act, Other Statutes and City of Toronto Act, 2006)
Municipal Act, 2001
Municipal Act, 2001 Regulations
Declaration of Office
Memorandum of Understanding Between the Province of Ontario and AMO
Table of Regulations Continued Under the Municipal Act, 2001