Ontario Insurance Law & Commentary, 2021 Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This concise guide to non-automobile-related insurance law in Ontario is designed for insurance law practitioners, in-house counsel, and insurance companies and professionals. The extensive commentary, developed by Michael S. Teitelbaum and edited and updated by Bevin Shores of Agro Zaffiro LLP, provides an overview of the principles and key issues in liability, property and life insurance, plus an annotated review of key provisions of the Insurance Act.
This annually updated desktop reference includes these unique features:
- Expert overview commentary on key elements in the practice of liability, property and life insurance – gives you a better grasp of common issues in daily practice
- Expert review of key provisions of the Ontario Insurance Act – assists you in the proper interpretation of the key provisions
- Expert insights on recent developments and practice issues – keeps you up-to-date and informed
- Full text of the Insurance Act and key Regulations, and related legislation – provides ready access to the most current legislation
- Full text of pertinent Superintendent's Guidelines – keeps you on guard for operational protocols
Highlights of the 2021 Edition
- Extensively revised commentary
- Discussion of key recent decisions such as:
- Markham (City) v. AIG Insurance Co. of Canada, 2020 ONCA 239 (concurrent duty to defend and court-imposed agreement on control of defence in the presence of potential conflicts of interest)
- Marvelous Mario’s Inc. v. St. Paul Fire and Marine Insurance Co., 2019 ONCA 635 (no rolling limitation period for business interruption claim)
- Van Huizen v. Trisura Guarantee Insurance Co., 2020 ONCA 222 (duty to defend where negligence and vicarious liability alleged against different insureds under a professional liability “master policy”)
- Mohammad v. Manufacturers Life Insurance Co. 2019 ONCA 288 (fire insurance authority distinguished from life insurance authority on materiality in the context of material misrepresentation)
Who Should Buy
- Insurance law practitioners including private, government, corporate and in-house counsel – who want to stay abreast of recent developments and practice issues
- Insurance companies including insurance brokers, adjusters and risk managers – who need to interpret and explain insurance policies
- Insurance professionals' institutes – who need to be a resource for members on current practice issues
- Large business corporations – who need an authoritative overview of the legislative framework and ready access to the legislation
- Academic institutions – who want to add a practitioner's discussion of insurance law to their resources
Table of contents
Commentary – Encapsulating, Annotating and Updating the Law of Insurance
Insurance Act Regulations
Superintendent's Guideline No. 08/04 –
Minimum Capital Test Guideline for Property and Casualty Insurance Companies
Financial Services Commission of Ontario Act, 1997
Financial Services Commission of Ontario Act, 1997 Regulations
Registered Insurance Brokers Act
Registered Insurance Brokers Act Regulations
New!PreorderAnnotated Ontario Securities Legislation, 54th Edition, 2021 (2 Volumes)New!Release date: May 31, 2021$204.00
New!PreorderAnnotated British Columbia Securities Legislation, 16th Edition, 2022 (2 Volumes)New!Release date: July 30, 2021$204.00
New!PreorderAlberta Litigator's Pocket Reference, 2021/2022 EditionNew!Release date: July 30, 2021$104.00