Ontario Family Law Practice, 2022 Edition (Volume 1) + Related Materials (Volume 2)
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Special Student pricing is available. Please contact Paula Sloss, Account Executive Academic Print Products at 416-200-6640 or 1-844-408-0655, or email email@example.com for more information.
Newly Updated for Changing Times
As the all-time “Go-To” Resource for family law practitioners, Ontario Family Law Practice, 2022 Edition contains the amendments to the Divorce Act, in force as of March 1, 2021, along with expert insights of changes to family law practice under the new regime.
For more than two decades, Ontario Family Law Practice has been the standard text for family judges, lawyers and mediators – giving them the relevant law, practice and contact information at their fingertips. In two Volumes, you'll find succinct, section-by-section annotations of the key federal and Ontario legislation and rules governing family law, organized under the three pillars of substantive law, enforcement, and practice and procedure.
Along with digests for over 5,000 cases and statutory cross-references, this book offers insight and analysis from leading members of the bar and judiciary. Key developments are noted in the year in review summary and legislation is fully cross-referenced for ease of use. Related materials are provided in the accompanying softcover Volume 2. Only Ontario Family Law Practice continues to deliver all the family law information needed to succeed in one convenient package. Each annual edition is fully updated with a careful review of all annotations and material to make this reference uncluttered with obsolete cases, keeping just the current and applicable information in a portable format.
The 2022 Edition – What’s New?
The 2-Volume 2022 Edition is organized to suit the research needs of family law professionals acting on different issues:
- Volume 1: Part I Substantive Law, Part II Practice and Procedure
- Volume 2: Part III Enforcement, Related Legislation, Practice Notes
Highlights of the 2022 Edition
- Bill C-78 amendments to the Divorce Act, in effect March 1, 2021, affecting:
- Replacing the terms “custody” and “access” with terminology focused on parents’ responsibilities
- Expanded definition of “Best interests of child (s”. 16)
- Codified procedure for determining Mobility rights
- Approaches to address family violence
- New procedure for recognizing and varying non-Ontario decisions
- Amendments to Federal Child Support Guidelines and Child Support Guidelines (Ontario)
- Amendments to the Family Law Rules
- Significant amendments to the Children’s Law Reform Act, the Family Law Act, the Marriage Act (Ontario) and other Family law-related legislation
- Digests of all reported Ontario family law cases over the previous year, highlighting recent Court of Appeal decisions such as:
- Gragtmans v. Gragtmans (arbitration appeals)
- Climans v. Latner (cohabitation – lack of shared residence)
- Cosentino v. Cosentino (spousal support – high income parties)
- Bourke v. Davis (mobility rights – new regime)
- M.A.A. v. D.E.M.E (child custody – return order when refugee claim)
- Booth v. Bilek (equalization claims – short marriages)
- Arachchilage (Licensed Insolvency Trustee for) v. Arachchilage (bankruptcy)
- Dembo v. Hannas (settlement enforcement)
- Kent v. Kent (matrimonial home – trustee interest in the property)
- Van Delst v. Hronowsky (pension valuation)
- Children's Aid Society of Toronto v. J.G. (Child protection – access rights)
- Chapman v. York Region Children's Aid Society (Child protection – investigation standards)
- 2020-2021 Year-in-Review
- And more!
Who Should Buy
- Family law practitioners who need a quick reference in court and before, or during client or settlement meetings
- Non-specialist lawyers who need one-stop, easy-to-use access to the overlapping legislation and constantly evolving case law
- Judges of Ontario family courts who demand a comprehensive and authoritative source of the law and practice in this area
- Family Mediators and Child Protection Mediators who need to consult a reliable resource for interpretation of the law
Putting Family Law in the Palm of Your Hand
Ontario Family Law Practice is published in two volumes – a hardcover main volume to take to court (Volume 1) and a softcover Related Materials volume (Volume 2).
Table of contents
2020-2021 Year in Review
Table of Cases
Part I: Substantive Law – Annotated Divorce Act, Family Law Act, Child Support Guidelines, Children's Law Reform Act, Child and Family Services Act, selected provisions of the Succession Law Reform Act, Pension Benefits Act and other related legislation
Part II: Practice and Procedure – Annotated Family Law Rules and selected provisions of the Courts of Justice Act
Part III: Enforcement – Annotated Federal and Ontario Statutes and Regulations, including the Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996 and the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, 2002
Child, Youth and Family Services Act Regulations
Practice Note 1: Family Court Services in Ontario
Practice Note 2: Practice Directions
Practice Note 3: Integrated Domestic Violence Court
Practice Note 4: Children’s Aid Society Policy
Practice Note 5: Protocols for Handling Return Applications and Interjurisdictional Judicial Communication under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction
Practice Note 6: Ontario Psychological Association Ethical Guidelines
Practice Note 7: Valuation and Income Assessment
Practice Note 8: Developments in the Treatment of Pensions under Ontario Family Law
Practice Note 9: Practitioner’s Notes
Annotated Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security Act, 20th Edition, 2021/2022Release date: June 17, 2021$199.00
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Family (2018 Reissue)Release date: October 25, 2018$325.00
British Columbia Family Law Practice, 2022 Edition + E-BookRelease date: December 11, 2021$175.00