The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 3rd Edition
A single comprehensive checklist to use for any Canadian research problem – fully updated and revised!
Based on the highly successful legal research text, Legal Problem Solving: Reasoning, Research and Writing, 7th Edition and written by the same experts, this resource directs you step-by-step through any legal problem – from identifying keywords to conducting electronic searches. Also included are brief descriptions of each of the various sources and research aids – from secondary materials and commentaries to statutes and regulations. No researcher should be without this handy yet critical tool.
- An author team which brings a wealth of knowledge of legal research and problem solving
- Simple checklist to ensure all aspects of legal research are explored and addressed
- Expert commentary on making an efficient and effective research plan
- Addresses how to approach and navigate legal commentaries, cases and legislation
New in this edition
The updated version of The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 3rd Edition contains:
- Updated figures, flowcharts and diagrams
- Discussion and examples of new online research platforms, including formulating online searches
A companion text
Purchasers of the textbook Legal Problem Solving: Reasoning, Research and Writing, 7th Edition will automatically receive The Ultimate Guide to Canadian Legal Research, 3rd Edition as a companion volume. Together this combination provides a complete and detailed guide to legal research and the legal problem solving process, as well as a pocket checklist.
Table of contents
Before You Start, Make a Plan
What Is Your Problem About?
What Information Are You Looking For?
Where Is That Information Likely Located?
What Resources Are Available for Your Use? And at What Cost?
What Provider Likely Has Your Content?
How Easy Is It for You to Use the Service?
How Will You Formulate Your Search?
Step 1: How to Find and Use Commentaries
Step 2: How to Find, Update and Note Up Cases
Step 3: How to Find, Update and Note Up Legislation
Helpful Research Tips
Appendix: Research Building Blocks