Annotated Firearms Act & Related Legislation, 5th Edition
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This comprehensive guide to firearms legislation in Canada provides you with a fully annotated version of the Firearms Act, Part III and other related sections of the Criminal Code, and relevant provisions of the National Defence Act and the Youth Criminal Justice Act. You will find the full text of the Firearms Act, along with orders and regulations pursuant to the Firearms Act and Part III of the Criminal Code.
- In-depth research – Insights from a judge and leading firearms defence counsel
- User friendly format – Commentary follows sections of the Act plus detailed cross-references to related portions of the Firearms Act, the Criminal Code and Regulations, applicable case law from across the country and a comprehensive index
- Case law relating to firearms – From courts of superior jurisdiction, Courts of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada
- Glossary of firearms terminology (from the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course manuals) – Helps users understand the topic specific terminology
- Charts and diagrams of weapons and ammunition – Taken from the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course manuals
New In This Edition
Fully updated to reflect all legislative, regulatory and jurisprudential developments, including those brought about by the passage into law in 2019 of Bill C-71 to the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code. Key amendments include:
- The repeal of the authority of the Governor in Council to prescribe by regulation what constitutes a non-restricted firearm and the passage of an Order in Council on May 1, 2020 which reclassified approximately 1,500 firearms and their variants as prohibited. An amnesty order was put in place ending on April 30th, 2022,
- A companion amendment was the creation of a general authority to grandfather individuals by way of regulation,
- The preservation of the remaining data of the long gun registry,
- The authority under the Criminal Code to forfeit seized and surrendered firearms whenever a prohibition order is imposed,
- The removal of certain automatic authorizations to transport prohibited and restricted firearms,
- The imposition of a new restriction on the transfer of non-restricted firearms by requiring individuals to verify with the Registrar whether the transferee’s license is valid, and
- The imposition of a new obligation on businesses to record all non-restricted firearm transactions.
Of Interest To
- Firearms officers and police – Stay on top of legislative changes and court interpretation for preparing police training and evaluating enforcement and administrative programs
- Prosecutors – Understand the intricacies of the legislation to meet the increasing number of firearms prosecutions and reference hearings
- Defence counsel – Benefit from expert interpretation of the complex interface between criminal law and administrative law, and process for effective defence
- Members of the Bench – Ensure you will have the governing and related legislation, and cross-references at your fingertips at hearings
- Firearms owners – Understand the applicable statutes and regulations to ensure full compliance with the law
Table of contents
Orders and Regulations Pursuant to the Firearms Act and Part III of the Criminal Code
Related Provisions of the Criminal Code (Part III of the Criminal Code dealing with central firearms and weapons-specific provisions)
Other Relevant Provisions of the Criminal Code (non-Part III dealing with offences and procedures relating to firearms possession)
Related Provisions of the National Defence Act
Related Provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act
Glossary of Firearms Terminology
Halsbury's Laws of Canada – Firearms, Weapons and Explosives (2018 Reissue) / Fires (2018 Reissue) / Food (2018 Reissue) / Gifts (2018 Reissue)Release date: August 29, 2018$320.00
New!PreorderMisrepresentation and (Dis)Honest Performance in Contracts, 2nd EditionNew!Release date: June 30, 2021$210.00
New!PreorderCanada Business Corporations Act & Commentary, 2021/2022 EditionNew!Release date: June 30, 2021$42.00