The Québec Class Action: A Roadmap
Québec was the first Canadian province to adopt class actions as a legal procedure, and while the other provinces have followed Québec's lead, class actions in that jurisdiction remain unique as they are governed by the tenets of civil law, not common law. This new publication, The Québec Class Action: A Roadmap, is a useful primer that will enable in-house counsel and practitioners both inside and outside of Canada to navigate Québec's complex class action system with greater confidence and ease.
Up-to-date, comprehensive content
Edited by Shaun E. Finn, an experienced commercial litigator with proven experience in the area of class actions, The Québec Class Action: A Roadmap offers its readers valuable insights and practical, real-world guidance. In particular, this text features:
- The most current information, including recent revisions to Québec's Code of Civil Procedure and its impact on class action proceedings
- An analysis of the substantive issues related to class actions as well as the statutory law
- A review of the various stages of a class action, from the application for authorization, to trial, and final judgment
- A cheat sheet and procedural roadmap to help readers navigate the class action process
- An easy-to-follow format that makes looking up relevant rules and case law fast and easy
An invaluable resource
Any in-house counsel or civil litigator – regardless of where they reside – who is involved in a class action in Québec will find The Québec Class Action: A Roadmap to be an informative and practical addition to their bookshelf. Law libraries should also acquire this reference for their collections.
Table of contents
1. The Québec class action at a glance
2. Québec's class action market: Who is getting sued?
3. Certification by another name: Understanding the criteria for "authorization"
4. Applications to dismiss or suspend
5. Preliminary applications
6. The authorization hearing
7. Pre-trial applications
8. Enter the gladiators: The common issues trial
10. How to pay class members
11. When and how to settle
12. Procedural roadmap: From claim to final judgment
13. General principles about Québec's substantive law
14. So, what's the takeaway?
Legislation and authorities
Relevant provisions of the Code of Civil Procedure