Advertising and Marketing Law in Canada, 5th Edition
First published in 2004 and now in its fifth edition, Advertising and Marketing Law in Canada has become the "go-to" legal reference for advertising and marketing professionals. Each edition captures the latest changes to the law and discusses the pitfalls of recent advertising and marketing practices.
Written in plain language by an experienced and creative team of advertising lawyers, this comprehensive resource sets out the ground rules and practical issues of Canadian advertising law, and includes:
- An explanation of the applicable legislation and regulatory codes for all provinces, territories and federally regulated sectors.
- A review of the most popular marketing channels and techniques so you can evaluate possible strategies and tactics.
- A discussion of common pitfalls and potential problem areas so you can understand the limits associated with promoting certain products and services.
- A wide range of real life examples to illustrate the practical aspects of both good and bad advertising.
- Helpful day-to-day aids such as customizable checklists, lists of DOs and DON'Ts and descriptions of best practices.
Highlights of the 5th Edition
- New chapters on Product and Consumer Reviews, and Political Advertising
- Update on recent Competition Bureau actions increasing the liability of advertisers in misleading advertising
- Update on recent changes to advertising law in Quebec and in specific industries such as natural health products, cosmetics, alcohol and food
- Update on recent changes to privacy law and its implications for marketing practices
- Preview of anticipated changes to trademark law in 2016
- Update on recent changes to the National Commercial Agreement
- Tips on advertising through Facebook, Pinterest and other trending platforms
- Advertising lawyers who want to provide their clients with up-to-date, practical advice.
- In-house counsel who want to ensure they have the information they need to properly advise employers about the legality of their marketing and advertising efforts.
- Professionals at ad agencies and marketing firms who need to understand the legislative parameters that govern their clients' advertising campaigns and promotions.
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Principles of Advertising and Marketing Law
Chapter 2: False or Misleading Advertising
Chapter 3: Substantiating Advertising Claims: What You Need and When You Need It
Chapter 4: Worst Case Scenarios
Chapter 5: Price and Credit Advertising
Chapter 6: Social Media
Chapter 7: Green Marketing
Chapter 8: Contests and Promotions
Chapter 9: Advertising to Children
Chapter 10: Packaging and Labeling
Chapter 11: Drugs and Natural Health Products
Chapter 12: Cosmetics Advertising and Labeling
Chapter 13: Food Advertising and Labeling
Chapter 14: Regulation of Specific Sectors
Chapter 15: Trade-marks, Copyright and Other Forms of Intellectual Property
Chapter 16: Talent Negotiation and Union Issues
Chapter 17: Competition Law Issues
Chapter 18: Mobile Marketing
Chapter 19: Privacy Law in Canada
Chapter 20: Uniquely Quebec Issues
Chapter 21: Advertising Agency Service Agreements
Chapter 22: Canadiana Issues
Chapter 23: Advertising and Music Licensing
Chapter 24: Misappropriation of Personality, Testimonials and Implied Endorsement
Chapter 25. Do they really like it? Misleading Product and Consumer Reviews
Chapter 26. Political Advertising and Freedom of Expression